Re: [News] [Rival] Vista a Disaster for Microsoft, the Future is GNU/Linux

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:00:55 -0600, John Locke wrote:

> ...and yet just about every computer in every retail store has Vista
> loaded on it. What I find totally bizarre is that the customer is left
> with only one choice for the OS. Why not a computer with a blank hard
> drive and the customer gets to choose from 10 or 15 different operating
> systems ? In the next universe I certainly hope this will be the case.

It's very simple.

If you are MS, you will have an agreement with the hardware manufacturers
to pre-install whatever you tell them to.

If you then decide to tell them to pre-install a crap apology for an OS,
with no software beyond Notepad and a few games, then you can bet that
most customers will be sorely disappointed with what they take home.

But this is where your cunning plan kicks in.

Up to now, they have all been using Windows XP. So when you sell the
Windows Vista they will naturally want to downgrade back to XP, and so
you will be able to sell them XP in a box, as well as Vista pre-installed.

So, if you are MS, you will sell them not just one but two OS, each of
course without any software.

And you'll be doing your buddies in the hardware industry a bit of good
by encouraging customers to exchange their perfectly good PCs for more
powerful PCs than can run Vista later.

It's all a trick to con the public. And the sad fact is that so many
people have more money than sense.