Re: [News] Linux-hostile MSBBC Steps Back, Among Worst in the World Openness-wise

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 22 January 2008 20:31 : \____

>>> Status Quo: Can't watch the news in Linux
>>
>> WorksForMe®:
>>
>> http://media.slated.org/albums/userpics/bbc-news.png
>>
>> mplayerplug-in v3.45 opens this URL in the browser window, no problem:

rtsp://rm-acl.bbc.co.uk/news/media_acl/mps/fix/news/business/video/146000/bb/146784_16x9_bb.rm

>> Of course, it would be nicer if it were an Open Format like Theora, or
>> even the Beeb's own Dirac (why don't they use their own codec???), but
>> MPlayer supports RealMedia (and even WMV), nonetheless (provided it is
>> not DRM encumbered).
>
> He was referring to the iPlayer in this case. As in "i", the BBC in a
> joint venture with Microsoft, provide a service to "i" (and me, myself and
> "i" only). The BBC is got itself into a hall of shame there for all to
> see. And it's tax-funded!

The M$BBC is also accused of wasting licence fee (tax) payers money in
fighting the Freedom of Information Act:
<quote>
The BBC has spent an estimated £250,000 in licence-fee cash on a court
battle to block publication of a report into its alleged bias when covering
the Middle East.
The expensive saga was prompted by a member of the public who has repeatedly
tried to force the document's release under the Freedom of Information Act.
<unquote>
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=510461&in_page_id=1773

So with the M$ iplayer fiasco, & now another £250,000 court battle, is it
any wonder the Beeb is leaking money like a sieve.

--
This message was sent from a
computer which is guaranteed