Re: [News] Creating More GNU/Linux Distros is Encouraged

  • Subject: Re: [News] Creating More GNU/Linux Distros is Encouraged
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 19:46:37 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Forget Ubuntu, Real Nerds Build Their Own Linux Distros

By far the easiest way to create an entirely new distro is to use a
buildsystem like Koji. In fact the hardest part by far is mirroring
the source tree, which in Fedora's case is several gigabytes.

Once you have the sources, and have installed and configured Koji,
it's only a matter of starting the build process. This is far more than
a simple respin, but equally it is much easier than LFS, and given
sufficient customisation (at source level) one can gradually fork from
the original distro, until the result is something entirely new.

Using Koji, I successfully rebuilt Fedora optimised for Via-C6, and I'm
currently in the process of further refining the package selection, to
remove encumbered components. Rebuilding an entire source tree is quite
a slow process however, unless one starts with a relatively small distro
like DSL or Puppy, but once accomplished, minor updates are easy enough.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 19:46:05 up 36 days, 17:21,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.07, 0.14