Re: [News] Wired Takes a Look at 'Linux-based iPod' from Germany

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:15:32 -0600, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2008-01-25, Thufir <hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:24:05 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>>

>>> But, but, but, it runs Linux so it HAS to be better. No?
>>> And because it runs Linux, people are going to pay double for less
>>> capability right?
>>

>> Absolutely, the more pragmatic approach is to install Linux onto an iPod.
>
>   How would that work in terms of format support?
>
>   I would like to be able to use all of my media files with minimal fuss.
> A lot of my stuff wasn't originally generated with the intention of targeting
> an iPod. Some of my stuff predates ANY iPod infact.
>
>   Been contemplating an Archos...

They're very good, if a mite expensive, but you can get large capacity
versions, and they come in a variety of sizes from pocketable to
half-brick :-) They are more for 'serious' use than carrying around all
the time, IMO, but excellent media players - I have a 504 and there are
wifi and touchscreen versions now.

--
Kier