[News] Further Similification of ATI/AMD Linux Driver Installation

  • Subject: [News] Further Similification of ATI/AMD Linux Driver Installation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:30:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
New Approach To ATI Linux Driver Installation

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting next month with the Ubuntu packaging scripts for the ATI Linux
| driver, the --autopkg and --installpkg arguments will be supported. When
| using this new --autopkg argument, the Ubuntu packaging scripts will detect
| the distribution version, install any build-time dependencies for that
| distribution, builds the ATI Debian packages (the same as running --buildpkg
| manually), installs DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Module Support) and libGL package
| dependencies, and then finally installs the ATI driver packages.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=976&num=1

They see where the market is heading.

Related:

AMD 2007 Year In Review

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD does realize that everything isn't perfect and going into 2008, they are
| working on more features and changes for their Linux driver as well as
| bringing on additional staff. Need we say that 2008 should be another very
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| interesting year for AMD and Linux?
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=952&num=1

Future AMD GPUs To Be More Open-Source Friendly?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD is on the heels of releasing the next set of GPU programming
| documentation to aide in the development of the open-source R500/600 drivers
| (xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd). It's already been discussed what
| this NDA-free documentation release will have, but one of the questions that
| have repeatedly come up is if/when AMD will release information on
| accelerated video playback. AMD's John Bridgman has now stated what they plan
| to release in the video realm as well as a new requirement for their future
| graphics processors: being open-source friendly while avoiding DRM.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=955&num=1

AMD Releases Additional R600 GPU Programming Documentation

,----[ Quote ]
| In the second NDA-free documentation dump, AMD has just released programming
| data on the M76 and RS690 graphics processors. While the RadeonHD developers
| have already had these documents, this information will help the free
| software community in understanding the internal workings of AMD's graphics
| processors.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=960&num=1

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427