[News] New Version of Wine Released, Photoshop CS/CS2 Runs on GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] New Version of Wine Released, Photoshop CS/CS2 Runs on GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:58:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Wine 0.9.54 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| This is release 0.9.54 of Wine, a free implementation of Windows on Unix.
|
| What's new in this release:
|   - Photoshop CS/CS2 should now work, please help us testing it.
|     See http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePhotoshop for details.
|   - A number of RPC fixes.
|   - Various improvements to the debugger support.
|   - Lots of bug fixes.
`----

http://www.winehq.org/?announce=0.9.54

Fie on Photoshop: Image Editing in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| It has been said (so many times that I'm ready to start twapping people) that
| the most important missing killer app for Linux is a free Adobe Photoshop
| clone. Photoshop is a mature graphics editor with hundreds of features and
| plugins, the de-facto industry standard, and it retails for over $600. So a
| free-beer Linux clone would be a lovely thing indeed. But is all that
| Photoshop glory really necessary? In this series we'll answer that question,
| and then move on to bringing high-quality digital images to life in Linux
| itself, without having to use icky old Windows, or spending a pot of money.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6455/1/

Photoshop goes Web-based and Adobe predicts that all software will go Web-based
in the next decade (see below).

Related:

Photoshop CS2 on Linux (Ubuntu)

,----[ Quote ]
| Having tried to install it before, I knew the typical route
| wouldn't work. Instead I headed over to portableapps.com,
| and dug up some info on making CS2 portable, and followed
| the steps here (on a Windows XP install of course). I
| tested it out on Windows, worked like a charm.
|
| I crossed my fingers and booted up ubuntu. Fingers crosse
| tighter yet, I ran the photoshop.exe file on my USB drive and...
|
| Photoshop cs2 on LinuxSweet Panda! It worked!
`----

http://26bits.com/2007/photoshop-cs2-on-linux-ubuntu/

Significant progress in Colour Mixing in Krita.

,----[ Quote ]
| Emanuele Tamponi introduces the innovative work recently committed to Krita,
| covering paint mixing...
`----

http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-08-12/

Installing Photoshop on Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Days after I installed Photoshop in my Linux laptop, I've had no
| major problems using it. I've been able to edit images just as I
| used to when I was still using Windows XP.
`----

http://max.limpag.com/2007/05/27/installing-photoshop-on-ubuntu-linux/

GIMPshop - Linux Graphic Software

,----[ Quote ]
| While the functionalities of GIMP and Photoshop largely overlap,
| window layout, options, tools, and menus have evolved independently
| and are quite different. This causes frustration for people who
| want to switch from Photoshop to GIMP or vice versa.
|                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://linux.about.com/od/softgraphics/gr/GIMPshop.htm

Adobe Photoshop: Online Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the risks of trying to find a niche to build a startup is that
| the big guys can land on your face at any time. That?s why all of
| these startups are going to be in serious trouble when Adobe releases
| a free, ad supported online version of Photoshop in six months.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/02/28/adobe-photoshop-online-edition/

dobe's new CEO zeroes in on Web

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: Adobe is in an interesting place right now. The company is making a
| transition from boxed software to online, "cloud" computing. Can you talk
| about that?
|
| A: We want to marry the power of the desktop with the Web.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20071205/tc_usatoday/adobesnewceozeroesinonweb

Adobe sees full shift to Web in next decade

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21359751/

,----[ Quote ]