[News] Major Linux Site Looks Back at a Decade of Maturity; New Ubuntu Magazine

  • Subject: [News] Major Linux Site Looks Back at a Decade of Maturity; New Ubuntu Magazine
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:02:08 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ten-year timeline, part 2: the bubble days

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, we began a multi-part series looking at the soon-to-be ten years
| of LWN. At the end of that episode, we were coming to the realization that
| the training business was, perhaps, not going to perform quite as well as our
| spreadsheets had suggested it might.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/264980/

PCs from 1998 can still run a very modern GNU/Linux distribution (see below).

Full Circle Magazine - Issue 9

,----[ Quote ]
| Contents:
|
|     * OpenGEU - A step-by-step install from OpenGEU creator Luca De Marini.
|     * How-tos: Directory Server, Ubuntu on an iBook, Installing OpenTTD
|       (Transport Tycoon Deluxe), and part one of the new “Create Your Own
|       Server” series.
|     * The new “Create Your Own Server” series (mentioned above).
|     * Review of the KDE 4.0 release
|     * Letters, the Q&A, My Desktop, the Ubuntu Women column, the Top 5, and
|       much, much more!
`----

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-9/

Related:

gOS Linux Running on a 9 Year Old Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| I managed to install gOS on a 9 year old IBM ThinkPad 600E laptop. This video
| shows just how well Linux will run on pretty much any hardware. Vista doesn't
| look much better than gOS and would never even boot on old hardware like
| this, let alon run demanding applications such as GIMP.
`----

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vbQAQYd4Mrg

Full Circle Magazine for Ubuntu Users

,----[ Quote ]