[News] [Rival] Microsoft Apparently Manipulates (Censors) Search Results

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Apparently Manipulates (Censors) Search Results
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:21:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Is Microsoft tinkering with Live Search results?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Microsoft filtering out from its Live Search results those it
| considers “undesirable” for the company?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1127

One source tells me that the ex-Softies who now work at Google already poison
the company and that there is also manipulation of Google SERPs (unrelated).

Related:

Microsoft funding bankrupt Live Search experiment with porn spam

,----[ Quote ]
| Dear reader, please tell me: what do you think of a search engine that steals
| (bandwidth and AdSense revenue), lies, spams away, and is not clever enough
| to stop their criminal activities when they’re caught?
|
| Recently a Live Search rep whined in an interview because so many robots.txt
| files out there block their crawler...
`----

http://sebastians-pamphlets.com/microsoft-live-search-the-downfall-of-a-tiny-search-engine/

Microsoft’s Club Live fiasco

,----[ Quote ]
| People were using the macro on more than 3 games at a time, on more than 2
| accounts at a time, why Microsoft didn’t pick up on the fact that in the
| first few days some people had accumulated enough for 3 Zunes each is beyond
| us. Some were lucky, others, not so much.
|
| [...]
|
| So far no one has been banned from using their accounts, which they needed to
| sign up, probably because they did not break any laws, or probably because
| Microsoft didn’t want that hassle and liked their new found traffic.
`----

http://www.blogthe.net/2007/07/16/microsofts-club-live-fiasco/

Bots Helped To Boost Microsoft Live Search Gains

,----[ Quote ]
| In a blog post, Compete analyst Steve Willis attributed Microsoft's
| search gains to prizes awarded to users participating in Live Search
| Club, which features games that post queries to Microsoft's search
| engine.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft is essentially being DDoSed by thousands of people hundreds
| of times per minute, but they are mistaking this rise in traffic for
| people actually using Live Search."
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201001092

Google US Web search share jumps to 58.5 pct

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSN2121132720071121