[News] Boeing and the US Military Choose GNU/Linux, Reject Microsoft

  • Subject: [News] Boeing and the US Military Choose GNU/Linux, Reject Microsoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:12:57 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Complex Crux Of Wireless Warfare

,----[ Quote ]
| Boeing and the Army said they chose not to use Microsoft's proprietary
| software because they didn't want to be beholden to the company. Instead,
| they chose to develop a Linux-based operating system based on publicly
| available code.

It also says that Microsoft declined to comment on this, which is always
hilarious. Another apparent win for Linux:

Supercomputer travels back in time to predict climate future

,----[ Quote ]
| Peter Ungaro, Cray's president and CEO, said that before researchers buy
| larger systems of that sort, they are forming groups "to build applications
| for next-generation machines."

Quote for the day:

"Windows 98 without Internet Explorer 4 is a working operation system and
Internet Explorer 4.0 is not an vital part of Windows 98."

                --Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

Boeing 777 - The Linux Penguin Lives

,----[ Quote ]
| Interesting how much Linux has made in roads into our lives. It
| seems that some of the aairlines who use the Boeing 777 are using
| Linux as their entertainment center.

Real-time Linux helps design military cargo plane

,----[ Quote ]
| Airbus reportedly tapped real-time Linux in designing its A400M
| military transport plane, set to ship this year. Concurrent said
| it supplied the German airplane manufacturer with real-time
| Linux-based systems used for hardware-in-loop (HIL) simulation
| test stands used to perfect the A400M's "high-lift control computers."

Demo features POSIX-compliant separation kernel, Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| LynuxWorks says its simulated aircraft demo for EAC shows a pair
| of applications running on a Linux guest OS, alongside a secure
| application running on top of LynxSecure. The demo will show that
| failure of the guest Linux OS does not impair operation of the
| LynxSecure application, the company says.

Linux headed into Boeing anti-sub aircraft

,----[ Quote ]
| Boeing has awarded Wind River Systems a contract to embed its version
| of Linux into a new military aircraft, the company plans to announce
| Monday along with a new batch of products built around the
| open-source operating system.

Over 30s VAX, Linux breeds Boeing's new jets

,----[ Quote ]
| Hawker de Havilland, the local arm of aircraft engineering giant Boeing,
| will retire its 30-year-old VAX system in favour of its new Linux-based
| environment in the manufacture of parts for the company's next-generation
| 787 jets.

Mega hands-on: Virgin America's Airbus A320 with Red in-flight entertainment

,----[ Quote ]
| They definitely weren't kidding when they said it's got it all:
| movies on demand, pervasive music playlists, in-seat messaging
| with a QWERTY controller, touchscreen Linux consoles with
| games, the works.

A geek's dream plane

,----[ Quote ]
| Every seat has a 9in LCD screen in the seatback in front of you that runs
| on embedded linux

Delta Airlines runs Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyway, given how hard it is to get success stories/press releases/etc.
| out of enterprises, I figured I'd announce this one for Delta. Delta
| runs Linux.

Want YOUR game featured on Virgin America's In-Flight Entertainment

,----[ Quote ]
| Red is an embedded system and we would like to invite members from the
| linux community to think about open source apps that might add to
| our offering.
| [...]
| Areas to Consider Before Expressing Interest
| 1. In the spirit of open source, the license needs to be LGPL /
|    GPL
| 2. Platform - Redhat Linux 7.3
| 3. Runs under TinyX (xfbdev)
| 4. Max Screen size 1024x600 (Preferably configurable using the
|    Geometry Setting)
| [...]
| For single-player games
| 1. Binary size (including dependencies like audio files, images,
|    libraries) - less than 10MB expanded
| For multi-player network games
| 1. Binary size (including dependencies like audio files, images,
|    libraries) for client - less than 10 MB expanded

Convincing the Military to Embrace Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "Sixty five percent of our applications run on Linux, and over 60 percent of
| our databases leverage open source solutions. We use Linux, Apache, MySQL,
| PHP, Python and Perl (a combination of software programs known as LAMP
| stacks). Over the years, since 1994, we've easily saved more than $500,000 in
| software licenses. While the cost benefits have been substantial,
| improvements in interoperability along with quick procurement cycles and
| boosts to staff morale -- programmers really like 'owning their code' -- have
| been key driving forces. This has been the true value of LAMP and our other
| open source initiatives," Welty said.

Conference Highlights Open Technology Adoption within Defense and
Intelligence Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| "When we rolled into Baghdad, we did it using open source," General
| Justice continued. "It may come as a surprise to many of you, but the
| U.S. Army is "the" single largest install base for Red Hat Linux.
| I'm their largest customer."

Army Seeks to Catalyze Open Source Intelligence

,----[ Quote ]
| A new U.S. Army Field Manual is intended to advance the development
| and use of open source intelligence (OSINT), which is intelligence
| that is derived from publicly available data legally obtained.

A Network Appliance Platform for Linux Applications at the US Department of

,----[ Quote ]
| U.S. military requirements for network devices are growing more and
| more demanding, making a flexible Linux-based platform the foundation
| of choice.

High-integrity software is key topic at 2007 Military Technologies Conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Following Tokar will be Redge Bartholomew, engineering manager at Rockwell
| Collins on "Static Analysis as an Example Approach to High Integrity Open
| Source Software."
| [...]
| "Why High Integrity Software Requires Open Source Tools," is the
| presentation of the module's last speaker, Robert Dewar, president and
| chief executive officer of AdaCore.

Department of Defense Releases Open Technology Development Roadmap

,----[ Quote ]