[News] Wine for Linus Further Simplified, Project Nemo Introduced

  • Subject: [News] Wine for Linus Further Simplified, Project Nemo Introduced
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:51:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Wine-doors 0.1.2 (Carménère) Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Wine-doors 0.1.2 has been released, this release sees vastly improved
| exception handling thanks to Andrew Stormont who joined the project after
| 0.1.1, along with some new features tweaks and various other fixes. We’re
| also syncing the repos from SVN nightly, this means that we can release apps
| faster between now and the finalisation of the new application database which
| is currently being worked on by Sam Taylor.
`----

http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2008/01/wine-doors-012-carmnre-released.html

Project Nemo: when file managers and calendars converge

,----[ Quote ]
| The Nemo project is a new, experimental file management tool for Linux that
| provides a unique calendar interface and leverages indexing systems like
| Beagle and Tracker.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/01/23/project-nemo-when-file-managers-and-calendars-converge

Related:

Wine-doors 0.1 aka Vinegar Finger

,----[ Quote ]
| I am proud to announce that after just over a year, 809 changes, and before
| LUG Radio Live wine-doors 0.1 has been branched in SVN, A tarball is
| available from the downloads page, if anyone builds debs and rpms I’ll use
| them honest.
`----

http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/?p=24

Wine-doors 0.1.1 (oenology oidium)

,----[ Quote ]
| Wine-doors 0.1.1 has been released with some minor changes;
|
|     * Fixed bugs with file not found handling for applications such as
|       dreamweaver
|     * Added multiple URLs in a pack
|
|       [...]
`----

http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/?p=37

PlayOnLinux

,----[ Quote ]
| To sum it up, POL is a promising frontend installer for Windows and Dos
| programs. Although there are some scripts that are outdated (POL uses Wine
| 0.9.37 to run MSOffice 2003, and the IE6 installation script - which uses the
| IE4Linux script - doesn't work properly on the current 0.9.53), the advantage
| of POL online repositories (and consequently an active community
| contributing) gives it the upper end in updating installation scripts for
| supported programs.
`----

http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2008/01/playonlinux.html

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
| 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
| of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
| 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
|
|     * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
|     * Need for Speed Carbon
|
| [...]
|
| What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
|
| Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
| install and shell out $300.
`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/

Stop Wine From Beating Your Windows Apps With The Ugly Stick

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 8.04 is planned to have usability improvements for Wine, among these
| improvements is a theme for Wine applications that matches the GTK theme.
| Can’t wait until April?
`----

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/01/04/stop-wine-from-beating-your-windows-apps-with-the-ugly-stick/

Seven Versions Of WINE Benchmarked

,----[ Quote ]
| The performance in the fourteen 3DMark 2001 SE and 3DMark 2003 tests were
| fairly consistent in the releases between WINE 0.9.44 and WINE 0.9.50 --
| generally only swaying a few frames in either direction -- though the
| performance overall has slightly declined and we were surprised by a few of
| the results.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=938&num=1

Winefix - improved desktop integration for Wine

,----[ Quote ]
| A script called winefix. In short, it allows Wine applications to be run just
| as easily as those native to Linux, meaning that they can be linked to or run
| from any directory, whether from a terminal or even a file manager like
| nautilus. It also handles some of the more awkward Wine extensions like .lnk
| and .msi, akkowing them to be run with a double click.
`----

http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/10/winefix-improved-desktop-integration.html

Wine is Getting Good

,----[ Quote ]