[News] [Rival] Forbes Magazine Grants Bill Gates a 'Plug' About New Anti-Linux Initiative

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Forbes Magazine Grants Bill Gates a 'Plug' About New Anti-Linux Initiative
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:09:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Commentary
Bill Gates

http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/22/solutions-education-gates-oped-cx_bga_0123gates.html?partner=yahootix

Just comes to show you who controls Forbes... MSBBC too... because the
tax-funded site now gives room for this oil tycoon to sell his products.

Clayton M. Christensen And Michael Horn

,----[ Quote ]
| The current school system makes this hard, however. To see why, picture
| Microsoft Windows. It, like schools, is highly interdependent--you can't
| build or change one component unless you build or change the others, because
| each component affects the way the others function. Changing just a few lines
| of Microsoft Windows' code would necessitate rewriting thousands of other
| lines. A custom-configured version of Microsoft Windows would therefore cost
| hundreds of millions of dollars.
|
| Contrast this with Linux, which is a modular system. Anyone from the
| open-source community can tinker with one part of the code and produce a
| custom-configured operating system. Modularity allows for affordable
| customization, while the economics of interdependence mandate
| standardization.
|
| [..].
|
| To educate every child, schools must migrate to a modular architecture--from
| the current teacher-centric classroom to a child-centric classroom--so they
| can customize for each child. Computer-based learning offers a way. It is
| inherently modular and therefore easier and less expensive to customize to
| the way each child learns.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/22/solutions-education-christensen-oped-cx_dme_0123christensen.html?partner=yahootix

Windows XP takes Linux away from our children

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has just announced it will contribute millions of dollars to train
| students and teachers worldwide how to use its software. That means less
| exposure to Linux for our children and a continuing dependence on Windows XP
| and Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| Of course, before receiving any of this funding, the school must be using
| Windows XP or Vista. Microsoft has used this tactic in the past to crush
| competition, including its decision to give away Internet Explorer to starve
| Netscape out of the industry.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
%20/2008/01/22/windows-xp-takes-linux-away-from-our-children/

Related:

Yoohoo! EU Commission! Are you watching?

,----[ Quote ]