[News] Free/Open Source Software Well Past the Tipping Point, Heaps of Announcements Made

  • Subject: [News] Free/Open Source Software Well Past the Tipping Point, Heaps of Announcements Made
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:02:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open source business model reaching tipping point

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the last several years open source has grown in stature and maturity,
| becoming more worthy in the eyes of corporate buyers and investors. Everyone
| could point to Red Hat, which dominates the Linux operating system space, as
| the poster child for open source but few other “pure” open source companies
| rose up to that level. Sun has gradually been making its vast portfolio of
| software open source under various licenses, embracing the notion of FOSS
| (Free and Open Source Software). “Volume drives everything, and developers
| are picking free and open source software,” Sun CEO Jonathan Schwartz has
| said.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=7674

The Software Mission

,----[ Quote ]
| Given the momentum of virtual appliances, SaaS, and cloud computing, I think
| it is going to be fun delivering on the rPath mission. Simplifying the
| delivery and consumption of software innovation is the focus of the entire
| software world these days. It's better to be in the ring when the bell sounds
| for round 1 of the prize fight than to be hauling water in the warm-up gym
| across the street. . . .
`----

http://billyonopensource.blogspot.com/2008/01/software-mission.html

Two new points on “Would you do it again for free?”

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing my study of whether or not external rewards kill intrinsic
| motivations, I read a paper Norms, Rewards and Their effect on the Motivation
| of Open Source Software Developers that Luis pointed me at and Matt Asay
| blogged about.  (For the record, the paper is as long as its title implies it
| might be.)  The authors of the paper were also interested in whether or not
| paying open source developers would demotivate them.  They did a survey with
| college kids that concluded that paying open source software developers
| doesn't demotivate them.
`----

http://www.openlogic.com/blogs/2008/01/two-new-points-on-would-you-do-it-again-for-free/

Infobright & MySQL AB Extend Partnership Agreement

,----[ Quote ]
| The combination of Infobright's Brighthouse and MySQL provides organizations
| an analytic data warehouse that delivers high levels of scalability,
| performance and ease-of-use.
`----

http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2008_03.html

SpringSource Announces Partnership with Capgemini

,----[ Quote ]
| The Spring Portfolio is a comprehensive set of open source enterprise
| application infrastructure solutions. With over four million downloads to
| date, Spring has become a major part of the enterprise applications
| infrastructure at organizations worldwide. The SpringSource partner program
| provides additional opportunities to increase revenues and drive
| differentiation for partners who support Spring deployments.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080123/20080123005269.html?.v=1

Data Warehouse Supplier Greenplum Pulls In $27 Million

,----[ Quote ]
| Greenplum, a company capitalizing on the PostgreSQL open source database,
| received venture capital financing totaling $27 million on Tuesday, 11 months
| after a $15 million round. The flow of funds reflects how investors believe
| some part of the $20 billion database market is going to shift toward lower
| cost open source code.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20080124/tc_cmp/205917090

This one is a bit of a 'fake' open source:

Landmark 2,500th Client Signs up to Leading Open Source Intelligence Database

,----[ Quote ]
| World-Check, the global industry pioneer and leading provider of
| highly-structured open source risk intelligence, is proud to announce that it
| recently celebrated its 2500th client sign-up[1]. On an annual basis 19
| million names[2] are manually queried by our client base in 153 countries
| within World-Check Online, while many millions more are automatically
| screened against the World-Check Data-file.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4869/

Gizmondo to Return in 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source environment meshes with the promises that Gizmondo owners
| will be able to "create your own games," and that the portable platform
| will "democratize gaming."
`----

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/01/gizmondo-return.html

JBoss alumni launch open-source startup

,----[ Quote ]
| LoopFuse will be hoping to parlay its JBoss connections and the rising
| confidence in open-source software to its advantage. It has partnered with
| open-source company SugarCRM, allowing customers to use a complete
| open-source stack for marketing and sales.
`----

http://www.infoworld.nl/idgns/bericht.phtml?id=002570DE00740E18882573D80076F578

Recent:

WordPress.com Creator Raises $29.5M

,----[ Quote ]
| While we were chatting, he let it slip that Automattic had raised a whopping
| $29.5 million in a Series B Round of funding, including a strategic
| investment from The New York Times Co. Previous investors True Ventures,
| Polaris Ventures, and Radar Ventures also invested in this round. (Full
| disclosure: both Automattic and GigaOM are backed by True Ventures.)
`----

http://gigaom.com/2008/01/22/wordpresscom-creator-raises-29m/

Zenoss Achieves 500,000 Download Milestone and Announces $11 Million of New
Investment to Continue Rapid Growth

,----[ Quote ]
| Zenoss Inc., the leading commercial open source network and systems
| management software provider, today announced the achievement of a series of
| key company milestones including an $11 million round of financing, 500,000
| downloads of its flagship product and a tenfold annual increase in its
| commercial customer base. The company enters 2008 with tremendous momentum
| towards its mission to deliver powerful yet affordable IT management software
| leveraging the advantages of open source.
`----

http://www.zenoss.com/news/archive/zenosspressrelease.2008-01-21.2106032992

What is an open source company really worth?

,----[ Quote ]
| My own theory is based on cycles of boom, bust and growth. People will make
| up excuses to pay anything when there’s a boom on. They will pay nothing when
| a bust is on. It’s only when we get beyond both that we find out the truth.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1916

Open source IPOs - take two

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course the potential of any open source IPOs at all in the next couple of
| years will be dependent on market conditions, as well as the increased M&A
| activity.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/01/23/open-source-ipos-take-two/

Alfresco Gets Funding for Growth

,----[ Quote ]
| There's obviously a lot of VC dosh sloshing around in the open source sector
| at the moment; it's a pity that there aren't many UK players who might
| benefit. Perhaps now would be a good time to launch some new free software
| startups here.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=404&blogid=14

Today’s the day for open source venture funding

,----[ Quote ]
| According to 451 CAOS Theory figures $80.5m worth of open source VC funding
| has been announced in the first 22 days of 2008, compared with $100.4m in the
| whole of the first quarter of 2007.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/01/22/todays-the-day-for-open-source-venture-funding/

Research: Open source M&A Comes of Age