[News] Internet Explorer 8 Breaks and Fragments the Web Further

  • Subject: [News] Internet Explorer 8 Breaks and Fragments the Web Further
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:11:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Acid2, Acid3, and the power of default

,----[ Quote ]
| What will happen when you type http://webstandards.org/acid2 in your freshly
| installed IE 8? Will Acid2 be displayed correctly when you hit the test
| button?
|
| Microsoft has been asked that question, but it has not given an answer. I
| think that the company is considering three possible scenarios.
| Now on News.com
| Whitman to step down as eBay CEO Photos: That's one small step for
| SpaceShipTwo Newsmaker: Acid tests for Web browsers Extra: Music and movies:
| Forever at odds?
|
| One scenario could be that IE 8 will require users or authors to "opt in" to
| support standards. For example, in order to render Acid2 correctly, users
| could be required to modify IE 8's default settings. This breaks with the
| guidelines of the test, and IE 8 will therefore not pass in this scenario.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2010-9595_22-6227171.html

And now they want people to embed browser names in Web pages, simply because
they chose to ignore standards.

Internet Explorer 8 introduces new meta tag

,----[ Quote ]
| The developers of Internet Explorer 8 around Chris Wilson have joined forces
| with the Web Standards Project (WaSP) to develop a new HTML header.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102295

End of line Internet Explorer

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft have got themselves into this mess by their own misguided strategy.
| By promising backwards compatibility, they've compromised the future
| direction of the browser. They've compromised Internet Explorer's capability
| of challenging Firefox in any meaningful way.
`----

http://www.isolani.co.uk/blog/standards/EndOfLineInternetExplorer

Related:

Microsoft Releases Update to Make IE7 ‘Vista Compatible’

,----[ Quote ]
| Did you notice that last one? Internet Explorer 7, included as part of the
| base Windows Vista installation, was apparently not fully Vista compatible.
| Instead of fixing IE7, this update presumably creates a shim to tweak Vista
| so it can work properly with IE7.
`----

http://itsvista.com/2007/12/microsoft-releases-update-to-make-ie7-vista-compatible/

My Secure ISP drops support for Internet Explorer!!!!

,----[ Quote ]
| My Secure ISP has provided point and click SSH support for years for major
| browsers even on Linux. A MySecureISP spokesman noted in the press
| release, "If MS would have provided an open, secure plugin architecture we
| wouldnt be in this mess we have no choice but to drop support for IE" We
| strongly encourage our subscribers to switch to Firefox
`----

http://digg.com/security/My_Secure_ISP_drops_support_for_Internet_Explorer

Despite 100 Million IE 7 Installs, Microsoft's Browser Still Loses Ground

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox's share of the U.S. browser market is at 14% and has
| continued to grow each of the last three months, says one
| research firm.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196901142

Microsoft Shares the Love, but Not with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has put up an invitation to share the love, but not with Linux
| (just bear with me, it will make sense in the end). With Valentine's Day just
| a few weeks away, the teams over at Windows Live and Microsoft Silverlight
| have joined their forces to enable users to spread and share their love.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Shares-the-Love-But-Not-with-Linux-76929.shtml

Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
| finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
| hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
| wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
| Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
| multimedia over the Internet.

Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This browser add-on enables rendering of WPF content, but
| "Everywhere" doesn't include Linux.

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569