[News] Sign of Maturity and Excellence: Linux Needn't Support Contracts

  • Subject: [News] Sign of Maturity and Excellence: Linux Needn't Support Contracts
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:24:48 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Fewer in Asia seek Linux support

| Kurc said, in an interview with ZDNet Asia: "It's great that people are
| implementing Linux for free. I'm all for gaining mindshare." The Novell
| executive was in Singapore to speak at an event on Windows and Linux
| interoperability to employ server virtualization.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62036927,00.htm

Bad new for vendors? Not if one judges by Red Hat's huge growth. Linux is
reliable enough that users don't rely much on support and third-party setup.
They DIY too, so the servers never get counted.

Here is why Novell sees a decline:

MLP: git, hwdata, open source business

,----[ Quote ]
| Lots of good stuffhere: "Red Hat knows that they have a premium brand, so
| ignoring people competing on price is the right strategy." Also
| covers "blowback" of the Novell/MSFT deal: "Customers aren’t worried about
| being sued for patent infringement." Plus why software isn't a commodity,
| when not to copy Red Hat, and more.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/community/?q=node/2288

Related:

Red Hat Shares Jump 10 Percent

,----[ Quote ]
| Shares of Red Hat Inc. jumped 10 percent Friday, one day after the open
| source software distributor announced a rise in third-quarter earnings and
| the appointment of a new chief executive.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071221/red_hat_shares.html?.v=1

New Red Hat CEO checks open source claims

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/12/21/red_hat_new_ceo/