[News] Amarok and Elisa Bring Excellent Audio and Video Under Linux

  • Subject: [News] Amarok and Elisa Bring Excellent Audio and Video Under Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:55:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Amarok 2 technical preview really howls

,----[ Quote ]
| I discussed Amarok 2 with developer Leo Franchi at the KDE release event last
| week, and I'm very impressed with much of the work that is being done on the
| audio player. Extensible support for Internet audio stores, Plasma-based
| widget displays, a new media device architecture, and increasingly robust
| cross-platform support will make Amarok 2 a real winner.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/01/22/amarok-2-technical-preview-really-howls

Elisa 0.3.3 turns Linux into a movie theater

,----[ Quote ]
| The developers at Fluendo have been working on an open-source, cross-platform
| media center application called Elisa. Version 0.3.3, which was released last
| week, includes a complete user interface overhaul that dramatically improves
| usability.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/01/22/elisa-0-3-3-turns-linux-into-a-movie-theater
http://tinyurl.com/2dkf4t

Related:

Review: Elisa media center

,----[ Quote ]
| Fluendo's Elisa is a free software media center application that can
| play your DVDs, video files, music, and pictures. Since it is designed
| for extensibility, Elisa has the potential to do much more. It does
| not handle television or video recording functions, but it is a
| slick and promising project.
`----

http://servers.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/04/1955225

Elisa [Short Introduction]

,----[ Quote ]
| With the recent announcement of Ubuntu forming a Media Center team
| focusing on Elisa as it?s media center platform, I took another
| look at Elisa as a potential solution for my home theater PC.
`----

http://www.silwenae.org/blog/?p=742

Ex-MS security guru to dump Media Center for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Veteran Microsoft security expert, Jesper Johansson, says he may dump
| Microsoft's Windows Media Center in favour of Ubuntu-affiliated LinuxMCE
| after struggling with Redmond's DRM (Digital Rights Management) software.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Ex-MS-security-guru-dumps-Media-Center-for-Linux/0,130061733,339282399,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/34as9b

Why amaroK ‘Roks’

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, I’m talking about amaroK, the free, open source music player, currently
| only for Linux and Unix, but soon to be available for Windows and Mac OS X.
| As the saying goes, there are two kinds of people in the world: those who use
| amaroK, and those who don’t. amaroK is the ultimate music management
| software, and for a casual music buff like me, it’s the best you can get out
| there. What separates amaroK from the other popular players in the market are
| its features which are targeted to make music management and playback easy,
| and a pleasing experience. Here, I’ve highlighted some of the key features of
| amaroK.
`----

http://stuff.techwhack.com/archives/2007/12/23/amarok/

Amarok2 as a technology platform, and beyond Amarok 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| This discussion has been raging in KDE4 land for a while, and the point that
| is often brought up is that KDE 4.0 is not all of KDE4.
|
| [...]
|
| The same logic can be applied to Amarok. Amarok 2.0 will be a great release,
| built on top of some very interesting new technologies, but the full
| potential of these will not show through in the first release.
`----

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/537-Amarok2-as-a-technology-platform,-and-beyond-Amarok-2.0.html
http://tinyurl.com/yv6pca

Playing with the Playlist

,----[ Quote ]
| There are many things that do not work really well yet, such as correctly
| updating groups when items are moved or deleted, but I will work on that.
`----

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/501-Playing-with-the-Playlist.html

Linux Audio Players, Tested and Graded

,----[ Quote ]