[News] Misunderstandings Around the Word "Free", KDE Launches "Be Free" Campaign

  • Subject: [News] Misunderstandings Around the Word "Free", KDE Launches "Be Free" Campaign
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:34:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hard facts on free software with RMS

,----[ Quote ]
| (Q) The term “Free Software” has been widely misunderstood. Is it software
| that is free of charge?
| (A) Not necessarily. It is a misunderstanding. It is because, in English, we
| don’t have a good word for “Nidahas”. We only have the word “free” which can
| also mean “gratis”. So, it causes confusion. It even took me a few years to
| recognize these two different meanings of the word “free”, have to be
| carefully distinguished. In Sinhala and Tamil, these two words explain it
| well. You have to get the meaning of this word right. It’s not a matter of
| price at all. It’s a matter of freedom.
`----

http://nightskymine.blogspot.com/2008/01/hard-facts-on-free-software.html

Timely example:

Free Range, not Free Beer

,----[ Quote ]
| I was eating breakfast in my favorite restaurant today and I noticed a sign
| up on the wall that said: "Free Range Eggs, $4.00 per dozen"
|
| Now at first I had the common knee-jerk reaction to the word "Free" that
| everyone does, thinking of the concept of "gratis". Then I realized that the
| word "Free" was related to "Range" and not the price of the eggs.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1006102

KDE4 ... Be Free campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| With 4.0's release, the technology of KDE4 isn't the only thing we find
| ourselves at the starting line of. As many of you have probably noticed, a
| theme for our KDE4 promotion campaigns was also unveiled using the slogan "Be
| Free". It was a long time arriving at those two small words. The input of
| many people including Tom Chance, Sebastian Kugler, Martijn Klingens, Wade
| Olson ... the list is long ... was crucial and there is a lot of thought and
| planning in behind this.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/01/kde4-be-free-campaign.html

Related:

Blogger preaches Internet download freedoms

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=455381478&rid=-50