Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3 Comes in September, More ODF Comes to Macs

> ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 21 January 2008 17:50 : \____

>>> ____/ RonB on Sunday 20 January 2008 21:57 : \____

>>>                                          ^times

>>> I've come across a PC of a colleague who typically uses Microsoft Office. It
>>> turns out that he has OpenOffice.org installed as well. It's almost like the
>>> planned escape route, kind of like dual booting or installing Firefox
>>> without removing IE (oh, wait, Microsoft ensured you cannot do that, didn't
>>> it?).
>>>

>> Firefox was the biggest hitter, since it got millions of Windows users
>> considering free software as a good, reliable and secure option, and
>> clearly more performant than the Microsoft proprietary option.
>>
>> Openoffice.org is clearly the next logical step.  For most people, they
>> probably don't use anything else.
>
> 20% of the readers of The Register use OpenOffice.org, according to a survey
> involving thousands. And mind you, the UK is very Microsoft-centric.
>
> There's no good way to measure the use of OOo. Microsoft wants to create the
> illusion (Big Lie) that nobody uses it, but the numbers don't lie.

When you start to get 20% of the readership of a technical publication
using something, you're essentially talking about 1/5 of the private
army of technical experts in the UK all using it.  Naturally, they will
talk to their counterparts on a regular basis, and once something has
grown from zero to 1/5, then the remaining 4/5 of the group will be
looking at it hard.  Naturally, 1/5 will probably never change, but that
means that we can expect 60-80% of technical family friends and advisers
to be using oo.org very soon indeed, which means that they will install
it for their friends and families.