[News] OLPC Arrives Nepal, Successful in the West Also

  • Subject: [News] OLPC Arrives Nepal, Successful in the West Also
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:44:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
First XO laptop in Nepal through Simply Give program

,----[ Quote ]
| Simply Give donation program has brought the first XO Laptop to Nepal. The
| lucky one is Prajesh Dulal. Jane Smith (USA) has contributed the laptop.
| Today he came to OLPC Nepal office for learning how to use this beautiful
| machine.
`----

http://olpcnepal.blogspot.com/2008/01/first-xo-laptop-in-nepal-through-simply.html

Impressions of an XO laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve had two or three days to look over my XO and I’ll admit up front that I
| really love it. I don’t know all the ins and outs of it, and it will take me
| some time to get used to the way things work, but I believe I’ll be keeping
| this one for a very long time.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/impressions-of-an-xo-laptop/

Related:

Feature: Hacking the XO laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| We recently wrote about the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) initiative and
| specifically the XO laptop. Basically, the XO is a $200 laptop specially
| designed for use in developing nations. The laptop instantly recognizes other
| XO’s and connects to them, forming a mesh network, which then enables
| collaboration and even shared internet access in areas that traditionally
| can’t afford laptops and/or connectivity to the internet. They’re also
| specially designed for viewing in bright sunlight, and are incredibly
| durable. We’re already hearing about the positive impact these laptops are
| having on small villages, and more are being delivered daily.
`----

http://www.geek.com/feature-hacking-the-xo-laptop/

Nepal software team wins best event competition

,----[ Quote ]
| The celebrations this year took place under the banner 'Linux for desktops
| lets make IT FOSSible' and was jointly organised by FOSS Nepal Community and
| High Level Commission for Information Technology (HLCIT) for the third
| successive year with several events including distribution of FOSS, social
| events, talks, college visits, distro demos, freedom toaster, FOSS solidarity
| eve, signature campaign, documentary shows, media awareness program and
| others.
|
| More than 850 people attended the event, FOSS Nepal community said.
`----

http://www.gorkhapatra.org.np/content.php?nid=31497

Software Freedom Day to be marked

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the third year that Nepal is celebrating Software Freedom Day (SFD).
`----

http://www.nepalnews.com/archive/2007/sep/sep03/news07.php

NepaLinux 2.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Madan Puraskar Pustakalaya released the localized Linux Distribution,
| NepaLinux 2.0 .
`----

http://nepalinux.org/content/view/30/1/

Kids In Jiri Love XO [One Laptop per Child]!

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, the day was a huge success and another significant step
| in raising awareness of XO and just how valuable it can and will
| be to the children of Nepal!
`----

http://olpcnepal.blogspot.com/2007/04/kids-in-jiri-love-xo.html

Founder of OpenContent at FKK Special

,----[ Quote ]
| FOSS Ka Kura a.k.a FKK is a monthly open-discussion program
| organized by FOSS Nepal Community, where FOSSians can discuss about
| FOSS, FOSS applications, Localization, GNU/Linux, etc. The main
| objective of this program is to create public awareness about
| FOSS applications and developing a Free/Open Source Community in
| Nepal. The Free/Open Source Community could involve a wide range
| of people ranging from experts, enthusiasts, FOSS advocates and so on.
|
| This program was formerly known as Linux Ka Kura and was organized
| by Madan Puraskar Pustakalaya (MPP).
`----

http://localfoss.org/Founder_of_OpenContent_at_FKK_Special

FOSS Essentials Training conducted in Nepal

,----[ Quote ]
| The key objective was to create an awareness about FOSS among
| general computer users, promote the use of FOSS and to build a
| network of FOSS practitioners and trainers in Nepal.
|
| FOSS Essentials Training 2007 was jointly organized by FOSS
| Nepal Community and the Center for International Cooperation
| for Computerization (CICC), Singapore. The event was supported
| by National Information Technology Center (NITC, Nepal), and
| Madan Puraskar Pustakalaya (MPP, Nepal).
`----

http://localfoss.org/FOSS_Essentials_Training_conducted_in_Nepal

Nepalese NGO Releases Localised Open CD

,----[ Quote ]