[News] Web Censor Wants to Kill Torrent Blindly, Generalization at Pirate Bay Too

  • Subject: [News] Web Censor Wants to Kill Torrent Blindly, Generalization at Pirate Bay Too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 07:00:34 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
AT&T, P2P Filtering, and the Consumer

,----[ Quote ]
| “We’re very sensitive to legal content,” Jim reassured us. “We know World of
| War Craft updates and patches are distributed over BitTorrent. There are many
| mainstream applications and patches [that are] distributed via BitTorrent.
| BitTorrent isn’t an evil protocol, it’s a very efficient means. It’s a
| challenge for network operators.
`----

http://www.slyck.com/story1640_ATT_P2P_Filtering_and_the_Consumer

...says a company that decides to intercept packets for _political censorship_,
not bandwidth or 'piracy'.

The Pirate Bay, Guilty Before Trial!

,----[ Quote ]
| The Pirate Bay recently featured in an exhibition about online crime, run by
| the Swedish police - even before their trial has begun. Pirate Bay’s Brokep
| has had enough of being the punch bag of the Swedish authorities: “It’s
| slander,” he says “Authorities are not allowed to engage in political
| opinionation.”
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-guilty-before-trial-080121/

Related:

Mark Cuban to ISPs: block all P2P traffic; Ars to Cuban: um, no

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, there are many legitimate uses for P2P that Google Video can't
| replace, like distributing Linux ISOs. Furthermore, the notion that the only
|          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| people who benefit from P2P technology are the distributors is wrong. If I
| have the option of grabbing a download from a distant single server or from a
| torrent with hundreds of users, I'm going to opt for the torrent. Why? It's
| almost guaranteed to be faster, and let's face it: most BitTorrent software
| is quite adept at managing large downloads. Perhaps I want to throttle it
| while playing a game; perhaps I want to encrypt my transfers. If I'm
| distributing video or audio, perhaps I don't wish to be bound by the terms of
| Google Video.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071122-mark-cuban-to-isps-block-all-p2p-traffic.html

Consumer groups want Comcast fined for thwarting the Bible

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of consumer groups are petitioning the FCC to fine Comcast $195,000
| for every customer affected by their BitTorrent-throttling practices. The FCC
| has said in the past that service providers can't "block" customers from
| using certain applications or websites, but it hasn't enforced that policy.
`----

http://valleywag.com/tech/politics/consumer-groups-want-comcast-fined-for-thwarting-the-bible-317960.php

Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

,----[ Quote ]
| Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
| acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
| use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
| are being told nothing about how the network technology works,
`----

http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comcast-isnt-net-neutral-are-they-liars-too/

Should AT&T police the Internet?

,----[ Quote ]
| A decade after the government said that AT&T and other service providers
| don't have to police their networks for pirated content, the
| telecommunications giant is voluntarily looking for ways to play traffic cop.
`----

http://www.news.com/Should-ATT-police-the-Internet/2100-1034_3-6226523.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

AT&T admits it censored other bands

| It looks like Pearl Jam isn't the only band that has had its politically
| charged comments bleeped from concerts streamed from AT&T's Blue Room Web
| site.
|
| [...]
|
| AT&T quickly apologized for the incident and blamed the company that handles
| the Webcasting for performances on Blue Room.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9759184-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Customers can sue AT&T, after all

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal court in San Francisco has decided that AT&T's wireless contract
| is "unconscionable".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/20/court_slames_att_wireless_contract_clause/

AT&T takes another step towards filtered network with investment in Vobile

,----[ Quote ]
| AT&T announced earlier this year that was planning to introduce content
| filtering of some sort for all video passing across its network. Exactly what
| AT&T was thinking remained unclear: would the company truly attempt to
| reassemble the fragments of peer-to-peer transmissions, then extract video
| from all sorts of different codecs, then attempt to match it-in real time-to
| some database of copyrighted works? Would such a thing even be possible?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071114-att-takes-another-step-towards-filtered-network-with-investment-in-vobile.html
http://tinyurl.com/3a998z

How AT&T chewed up, and spat out Net Neutrality

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.com/2007/01/10/whitacre_wins_big/