[News] War on 'Pirates' Raises Privacy and Security Issues

  • Subject: [News] War on 'Pirates' Raises Privacy and Security Issues
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 06:50:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Canadian Privacy Commissioner: Just say no to intrusive DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Jennifer Stoddart, the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, is wary of DRM, and
| she's not afraid to tell other branches of government about her concerns.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080120-canadian-privacy-commissioner-just-say-no-to-intrusive-drm.html

EU official: IP is personal

,----[ Quote ]
| IP addresses, string of numbers that identify computers on the Internet,
| should generally be regarded as personal information, the head of the
| European Union's group of data privacy regulators said Monday.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080121/ap_on_hi_te/eu_online_privacy

Analysis: Metcalfe's Law + Real ID = more crime, less safety

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have a saying in this business: 'Privacy and security are a zero-sum
| game.'" Thus spake security consultant Ed Giorgio in a widely-quoted New
| Yorker article on the US intelligence community's plans to vacuum up and sift
| through everything that flies across the wires. But Giorgio is wrong—
| catastrophically wrong. The story of Fidencio Estrada, a drug runner who
| bribed Florida Customs agent Rafael Pacheco to (among other things) access
| multiple federal law enforcement databases on his behalf, suggests that when
| it comes to the government collecting data on innocent civilians for law
| enforcement purposes, privacy and security are essentially the same thing.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080119-analysis-metcalfes-law-real-id-more-crime-less-safety.html

Related:

DRM Is Dead, But Watermarks Rise From Its Ashes

,----[ Quote ]
| Universal and Sony declined to discuss who developed their watermarks and
| what they would do with the information they cull from their analyses.
|
| Art Brodsky, of Public Knowledge, was quick to provide an answer.
|
| "They'll do anything they can to get ammunition, including submitting the
| information to Congress, publishing research and whatever, so long as they
| can blame everything on piracy," Brodsky said.
`----

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/news/2008/01/sony_music

Getting Going with Gowers

,----[ Quote ]
| None is thornier than DRM. Again and again in this document, questions arise
| about how people can be given the ability to derive the full benefit of
| copyright material when DRM gets in the way - and to what extent they should
| be allowed to circumvent it.
|
| Of course, my answer is simple: get rid of the whole damn lot. Even a year or
| two that might have seemed radical or utopian, but with nearly all the main
| record labels embracing that strategy - and the film companies about to begin
| their own slow slouch towards Bethlehem - I think it will soon be seen as the
| best and most sensible thing to do.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/01/getting-going-with-gowers.html

DRM in Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista includes an array of "features" that you don't want.
| These features will make your computer less reliable and less secure.
| They'll make your computer less stable and run slower. They will
| cause technical support problems. They may even require you to
| upgrade some of your peripheral hardware and existing software.
| And these features won't do anything useful. In fact, they're
| working against you. They're digital rights management (DRM)
| features built into Vista at the behest of the entertainment
| industry.
|
| And you don't get to refuse them.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/02/drm_in_windows.html

Macrovision update plugs zero-day DRM exploit

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/06/macrovision_drm_update/