Re: [News] Corruption Blamed for Erosion and Loss of Freedom, Culture

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>> Vis-a-vis corruption, the BBC's DG questioning (transcripts) is up on
>> Groklaw now. Tough crowd.
>
> Yes I just read it.
>
> The official figure for the iPlayer is now ... *£131 million*.
>
> .----
>| We asked the BBC for clarification concerning the cost discrepancy.
>| In a statement, the BBC said:
>|
>|     The figures for the total estimated spend on the BBC's
>|     on-demand proposals are as follows:
>|
>|         * £131 million was the forecast for the total cost to the
>|           BBC for its on-demand proposal over a five year period
>|           (start 2006/07). This includes rights costs and other
>|           operational and technical costs.
>|         * The £4.5 million discussed in November was the total
>|           spend at the time for the development of BBC iPlayer.
>|         * However, this figure now stands at £5.7 million. The
>|           increase is due to current year spend now being included
>|           in the figure.
> `----
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20080120181708684

Sh*t, what on earth were they thinking about?  They have Dirac, an
excellent, free codec of their own development, there is Helix out
there, there is ogg.

Also, experience shows that these figures are usually significantly
underestimated, so it would likely have been much higher.  Perhaps we've
managed to stop one of the biggest licence-fee drains any BBC employees
have ever come up with, and the biggest disaster so far for the
untrustworthy trustees.