[News] GNU/Linux is Growing in Vietnma's Laptops, Desktops, Children

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux is Growing in Vietnma's Laptops, Desktops, Children
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:52:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux in Vietnam

,----[ Quote ]
| It has often been said that Linux is a more interesting platform for
| countries whose IT infrastructure is not yet well developed. Not having to
| explain the cost of migration from established document formats and
| proprietary software to free alternatives is certainly a big bonus for
| Vietnam. As such, the country's government can make a more objective decision
| (assuming that the proprietary software vendors don't resort to "dirty
| tricks" in order to win contracts) about the direction of its IT future and
| about the best solution for its educational system. Indeed, Linux and open
| source software do seem to have a bright future in Vietnam; the country has a
| well-educated population and the few hotbeds of Linux activity, such as Hacao
| Linux and the Linux user groups in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, should provide
| enough reasons for Linux to prosper.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080121#feature

Quote for the day:

"Don’t encourage new, cross-platform Java classes, especially don’t help get
great Win 32 implementations written/deployed. [...] Do encourage
fragmentation of the Java classlib space."

                                --Ben Slivka, Microsoft

Related:

Ministry encourages open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| HA NOI — The Ministry of Information and Communications has recommended that
| state agencies use four open source software products – Open Office,
| Thunderbird, Firefox and Unikey.
`----

http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/showarticle.php?num=01BUS050108

The Haven for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| VietNamNet Bridge – It is the less-known name in the local information
| technology industry, but Linux is poised to become the most-used solution for
| the IT community, given the blessing from authorities.
`----

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2008/01/762523/

Vietnam Chooses Open Source to Offset Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| A ministry official refused to comment on whether the move was made as a
| means of reducing software infringement in Vietnam or stimulating demand for
| research.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Vietnam-Chooses-Open-Source-to-Offset-Piracy-60971.html

Hacao Classmate PC lands in Vietnam

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/hacao-classmate-pc-lands-in-vietnam-289244.php

Ministry encourages open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ministry of Information and Communications has recommended state agencies
| use four open source software products - Open Office, Thunderbird, Firefox
| and Unikey.
`----

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2007/12/761476/

Hacao Classmate PC avaiable ! [and Vietnam grows on OpenOffice.org]

,----[ Quote ]
| Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
|
| Hot news from Vietnam here...
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/22928

Students using PCLinuxOS in Vietnam

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally, I decided to test PCLinuxOS with my students. Wow, amazing. Finally
| a Linux distro that the majority of my students actually liked using. It ran
| faster than any of the other Linux distros they tried and easily connected to
| the internet from inside the school (they like to read Yahoo 360 blogs in
| class). They figured out how to use Konquerer to browse around the different
| directories in their laptops without me even telling them. As with Macbooks,
| the Desktop GUI was easy to learn. Thus, I decided to use PCLinuxOS.
`----

http://www.saigonnezumi.com/?p=516

Intel's OLPC-killer heads for Vietnamese retailers

,----[ Quote ]
| The "Hacao Classmate PC" is based on Intel's Classmate PC design, and will
| come pre-installed with Hacao Linux, a Vietnamese-language Linux distribution
| based on Puppy Linux.
`----      ^^^^^^^^^^^

Vietsoftware join forces with Asianux

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2007/07/724393/

Hacao Linux 2.16 Professional released

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/17481#comment-5619

Sun shares its technology with Vietnam's open source community

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2007/05/699418/

State [Vietnam] promotes use of shareware

http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/showarticle.php?num=02BUS140507

Vietnam gives priority to open source software

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2007/04/686282/

Open-source software offers affordable option

http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/showarticle.php?num=02BUS220107

Open-source software offers affordable option

,----[ Quote ]
| Reducing the widespread use of pirated software in Viet Nam will be
| an uphill struggle because of the high costs of legal software
| products, according to industry experts.
|
| But if shop owners, government offices and local consumers adopt
| open-source software -- which is essentially free -- piracy could fall
| dramatically, they added.
|
| [...]
|
| The government may in the future set up a unit within the Department
| of Post and Telematics that would assist consumers in the use of
| open-source software.
`----

http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/showarticle.php?num=02BUS220107

My Vietnamese Students used PC-BSD