[News] Parallels and H-P Join, Abusive Monopolist 'Hijacks' Competitor VMWare, by Proxy

  • Subject: [News] Parallels and H-P Join, Abusive Monopolist 'Hijacks' Competitor VMWare, by Proxy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:12:03 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Parallels Operating System Virtualization for HP Integrity Line

,----[ Quote ]
| An announcement when out last week that Parallels and HP have chosen to
| collaborate and offer Parallels Virtuozzo Containers to HP Integrity server
| customers. The goal of this partnership is to help HP’s customers make the
| most efficient use of the power of HP’s Integrity line all the way up to the
| 64-processor HP Integrity Superdome. The approach Parallels and HP are
| working together to present would be a highly efficient way to run multiple
| Windows or Linux workloads on a single machine.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=475

Theory: Why EMC Gave VMWare to Microsoft (Employee)

,----[ Quote ]
| Diane Greene thrown out just a week or so after EMC became Microsoft's
| Partner of the Year
`----

http://boycottnovell.com/2008/07/09/emc-gave-vmware-away/

Related:

Microsoft, Citrix grow alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. and Citrix Systems said they have expanded their alliance to
| deliver and market joint virtualization products with Windows Server 2008.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/080122/1579676.html?.v=1

Ballmer: Microsoft Will Buy Open-Source Companies

,----[ Quote ]
| "We will do some buying of companies that are built around open-source
| products," Ballmer said during an onstage interview at the Web 2.0 Summit in
| San Francisco.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/202404305

Is Microsoft Hijacking Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| What really worries me is what looks like an emerging pattern in Microsoft's
| behaviour. The EU agreement is perhaps the first fruit of this, but I predict
| it will not be the last. What is happening is that Microsoft is effectively
| being allowed to define the meaning of “open source” as it wishes, not as
| everyone else understands the term. For example, in the pledge quoted above,
| an open source project is “not commercially distributed by its
| participants” - and this is a distinction also made by Kroes and her FAQ.
|
| In this context, the recent approval of two Microsoft licences as
| officially “open source” is only going to make things worse. Although I felt
| this was the right decision – to have ad hoc rules just because it's
| Microsoft would damage the open source process - I also believe it's going to
| prove a problem. After all, it means that Microsoft can rightfully point to
| its OSI-approved licences as proof that open source and Microsoft no longer
| stand in opposition to each other. This alone is likely to perplex people who
| thought they understood what open source meant.
|
| [...]
|
| What we are seeing here are a series of major assaults on different but
| related fields – open source, open file formats and open standards. All are
| directed to one goal: the hijacking of the very concept of openness. If we
| are to stop this inner corrosion, we must point out whenever we see wilful
| misuse and lazy misunderstandings of the term, and we must strive to make the
| real state of affairs quite clear. If we don't, then core concepts like “open
| source” will be massaged, kneaded and pummelled into uselessness.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1003745

Will Microsoft Buy the New Citrix?

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware, holding some 85 percent of the market, with its VI3 technologies
| offers a fully integrated stack and represents a third generation of
| virtualization technology, while Viridian and Xen-based products, including
| SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, XenEnterprise
| and Virtual Iron, remain second-generation products, the report stated.

Heady Days for Virtual Systems

,----[ Quote ]