[News] [Rival] Microsoft's 'Patent Terrorist' Smith Tries to Derail Yahoo/Google

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's 'Patent Terrorist' Smith Tries to Derail Yahoo/Google
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:37:25 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft legal boss to testify on Yahoo-Google

,----[ Quote ]
| This should be interesting: Brad Smith, Microsoft's general counsel, is
| slated to be one of the witnesses next Tuesday at a U.S. Senate subcommittee
| hearing on "The Google-Yahoo Agreement and the Future of Internet
| Advertising." No word yet on the other witnesses.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/142929.asp?source=rss

Microsoft as a self-appointed regulator and politician. Maybe the Man in the
sweater can bribe someone with 'charity' for influence.

Related:

Microsoft trying to derail Google/DoubleClick deal by lobbying congress

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has hired lobbying firm Patton Boggs LLC to do work on "competitive
| issues surrounding Google/DoubleClick [sic] merger."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070816-microsoft-spends-40000-to-lobby-congress-about-googledoubleclick-merger.html

Microsoft Finds Legal Defender in Justice Dept.

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly a decade after the government began its landmark effort to break
| up Microsoft, the Bush administration has sharply changed course by
| repeatedly defending the company both in the United States and abroad
| against accusations of anticompetitive conduct, including the recent
| rejection of a complaint by Google.
|
| [...]
|
| In the most striking recent example of the policy shift, the top
| antitrust official at the Justice Department last month urged state
| prosecutors to reject a confidential antitrust complaint filed by
| Google that is tied to a consent decree that monitors Microsoft's
| behavior. Google has accused Microsoft of designing its latest
| operating system, Vista, to discourage the use of Google's desktop
| search program, lawyers involved in the case said.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/business/10microsoft.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

News Analysis: Microsoft General Counsel on DoubleClick and Antitrust

,----[ Quote ]
| This raises a very important question - why didn't Microsoft match Google's
| $3.1 billion offer. Smith would not comment on this, but I can report from
| very good sources that in fact the company did offer to match it, and was
| willing to pay even more to insure that Google did not corner the online ad
| market. But for whatever reasons, the private equity firm that owned the
| majority of DoubleClick's shares decided to go with Google.
|
| [...]
|
| I asked Smith about the irony of Microsoft asking the government to
| support it on antitrust. His response was interesting.
`----

http://battellemedia.com/archives/003561.php

Microsoft Befriends Google's Foes

,----[ Quote ]