[News] New Ballnux Laptops Abound, GNU/Linux Too

HP Mini-Note a Sound Choice

,----[ Quote ]
| SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) SP1 was the installed operating system
| as delivered on our test unit. Novell has recently released SP2 for SLED, and
| we went through the update process to give it a spin as well. HP markets this
| unit to the educational market which would seem to point toward college
| students. The unit is great for surfing the web, checking e-mail or instant
| messaging although the battery life with the standard 3-cell battery will be
| a drawback.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6500/1/

It runs Ballnux. That's from H-P, Novell and Microsoft, who believe in 'owning'
imaginary things and 'knowledge' (like double-click and smileys). The idea is
so ludicrous and only plants like Hovsepian (former IBMer) would try to use it
as a maximalist 'advantage' that screws all those that built FOSS.

ASUS Releases Eee PC 901, 1000, 1000H

,----[ Quote ]
| The ASUS Eee PC 1000 / 1000H have a 10" screen while the 901 is sized at 8.9"
| and they all weigh 2~3 lbs. All three models do have GNU/Linux operating
| system availability. The ASUS Eee PC 901 is available today (with a price tag
| of $600 USD) while the two other models will be released later this month.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjU3Ng

Some GNU/Linux too:

Shape of things to come

,----[ Quote ]
| ACER will be rolling out the Aspire One mini-notebook this week in Manila,
| its answer to the ground-breaking Asus Eee-PC.
|
| I’ve been itching to get my hands on a review unit after reading about its
| specs (8.9-inch, 1,024x600 screen, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz processor, 512MB memory,
| 8GB storage on the Linux version, built-in WiFi) last month, but Acer’s local
| office says units won’t be available until later this month.
`----

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=business6_july8_2008

Recent:

Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
| open source rival
|
| Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
| around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
| sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
| Press.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29939/Otellini-MID-revolution-will-be-centred-round-Linux

Intel won't touch Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| ACCORDING TO A memo circulating a few weeks ago, it looks like Intel is
| taking a wise decision and avoiding the Broken OS entirely. Yes, Intel is not
| going to use Vista on its corporate machines... ever.
|
| [...]
|
| So that leaves two other choices, Linux and Mac. Linux is a distinct
| possibility, they already have an in-house distro that causes employees look
| nervously around the room when you talk about it. Although it is not a
| desktop variant, there is no reason that they could not roll one given two
| years.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/23/intel-dumps-vista

Related:

Linux wins Nigerian school desktops back from Microsoft [after alleged
Microsoft bribery]

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124