[News] Another School Dumps Microsoft, Moves to GNU/Linux

School switches to Linux, hopes to keep MS funds

,----[ Quote ]
| Complete switch to Linux has been approved by the Ministry of Education
|
| Warrington School, in Otago, has decided to jump ship and deploy the
| GNU/Linux operating system with free software across the board by a target
| date of 2010, says the school’s principal, Nathan Parker.
|
| The complete switch to Linux has been approved by the Ministry of Education,
| and Parker is now hoping that a portion of the money that would normally be
| paid to Microsoft for software licences will continue to be paid to the
| school. Parker says he would use the money to employ a local technician and
| further develop the Linux environment.
|
| “Otherwise we are being disadvantaged,” he says.
|
| [...]
|
| Parker would definitely recommend using Linux to other schools. “There is a
| third way,” he says. “There is Apple, Microsoft and there is GNU/Linux.”
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/A000A8F459252EDECC25747F00172D28

He even says "GNU/Linux".

Last week:

Whitfield School Picks Linux and ThinkPad Laptops for Computing Program

,----[ Quote ]
| The program enriches the education of students by equipping each student with
| a computer. The program has given Whitfield’s students and faculty new
| avenues for interaction and learning by using Lenovo ThinkPads (powered by
| Linux) in the classrooms.
`----

http://it.tmcnet.com/topics/it/articles/32861-whitfield-school-picks-linux-thinkpad-laptops-computing-program.htm

Microsoft tactics push India toward Linux

,----[ Quote ]