[News] Shuttleworth Advocates Open Access, Denounces Novell Deal

The Man Behind Ubuntu: Talking with Mark Shuttleworth

,----[ Quote ]
| Education content and education policy are sort of inseparable. If teachers
| are nervous or teaching something that isn’t certified government —
| governments will certify things that set a particular ideological way of
| seeing the world more often than not. And so you can look at a situation
| unlike Wikipedia, if you’re trying to do Wikipedia for textbooks, it’s very,
| very difficult, because every country has its own view of the truth and what
| should be taught. It’s very interesting and very complicated area, and
| ultimately one that I think someone will solve and it will really will change
| the field.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/6385

- From his interview yesterday:

Mark Shuttleworth on Ubuntu and the Linux Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| What’s your sense of the Novell-Microsoft deal? Is it a net negative for
| Linux, or is there anything positive in it?
|
| I think it’s positive in that it suggests that Microsoft is increasingly
| conscious of the need to engage with Linux. I think the terms under which
| they concluded that specific deal are negative for Linux as a whole, in that
| they tried to lock down, to entrench, a certain view of the economics of Free
| software. If you look at the deal, it very much assumes that software is
| being sold, so it tries to impose the economics of the ‘80s on the 21st
| century, and I don’t think that’s going to fly.
|
| It’s a little bit like DRM, which tries to impose the economics of vinyl on a
| digital music industry. I think a lot of people are now saying, ‘Gosh, it’s
| not actually the music industry that’s suffering, it’s the record industry
| that’s suffering’ – the music industry is thriving.
|
| And similarly, I think, any attempt to slow down the pace of innovation in
| the economics, as much as in the technology, is doomed to fail. And at heart
| I think that’s what’s wrong with the deal that was struck there.
|
| It was very interesting to see, after the announcement of the deal, how much
| disagreement there was between the parties as to what the deal actually
| meant. And I think that’s a clear sign that it was something that was hastily
| concluded.
|
| Anyhow, we don’t begrudge anybody their partnerships, we’re just very clear
| about the specific values that we hold dear. And we would not conclude a deal
| with Microsoft on the same terms – we don’t think that would be constructive
| for our users or for Free software as a whole.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3757246_3

Related:

[Mark Shuttleworth Interview]

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is asking people to pay them for patents, but they won't
| say which ones. If a guy walks into a shop and says: "It's an
| unsafe neighbourhood, why don't you pay me 20 bucks and I'll make
| sure you're okay," that's illegal. It's racketeering. What Microsoft
| is doing with intellectual property is exactly the same. It's a great
| company and I have great admiration for it, but this was not a
| well considered position.
|
| So you wouldn't do a deal?
|
| No, absolutely not. But the time will come when the folks at
| Microsoft who have a clear vision for the company as a participant
| in this community, rather than as a hostile antagonist, will win.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/nephp/?m=show&id=6672

Court: Microsoft, Best Buy must stand trial for racketeering

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/stories/001/?ID=5059