Re: [News] Nobel Laureates Says Intellectual Monopolies Are Bad

  • Subject: Re: [News] Nobel Laureates Says Intellectual Monopolies Are Bad
  • From: Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:42:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Intellectual Property Regime Stifles Science and Innovation, Nobel
> Laureates Say

This is uncanny :)

[quote]
The basic framework of the intellectual property (IP) regime aims to
“close down access to knowledge” rather than allowing its dissemination,
Professor Joseph Stiglitz said at a 5 July lecture on “Who Owns
Science?” Stiglitz, a 2001 Nobel Laureate in Economics, and Professor
John Sulston, a 2002 Nobel Laureate in Physiology/Medicine, launched
Manchester University’s new Institute for Science, Ethics and Innovation.

Both were highly critical of today’s patent system, saying it stifles
science and innovation.

IP is often compared to physical property rights but knowledge is
fundamentally different, Stiglitz said. It is a public good with two
attributes - “non-rivalrous competition” and non-excludability - meaning
it is difficult to prevent others from enjoying its benefits. That runs
counter to IP regimes, which are worse than exclusion because they
create monopoly power over knowledge that is often abused, he said.
[/quote]

> http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1129

Vindicated by two Nobel Laureates!
How often does /that/ happen?

Also, my curiosity is piqued by this Institute for Science, Ethics and
Innovation at MU. I think I may have found a new vocation :)

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Stallman has frequently pointed out, Free Software is by no means
| antithetical to making money: it's just a question of how you make
| money." ~ Glyn Moody: http://tinyurl.com/4wn2l2 (ComputerworldUK)

 10:42:01 up 200 days,  7:17,  3 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.03