[News] [Rival] Violent Games Have Microsoft Fighting the British Government

British Government Fires Back at EA & Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, in a response to rumblings that the British government would
| institute a new ratings board based on the recommendations of they Byron
| Review,
`----

http://www.thegamereviews.com/story-1449-British-Government-Fires-Back-at-EA--Microsoft.html
http://tinyurl.com/5kj859

Related:

Halo 3 Korea Promotion Part 2 ~ ver1~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldn5m-vMLwA&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.joystiq.com%2F

Microsoft XBox Banned Commercials

http://www.mall.hk/news/2007/08/21/what-you-missed-xbox-iptv-and-bill-gatess-criminal-past-2/

UK advertising authority nixes Xbox 360 spot

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK's Advertising Standards Authority, an industry self-policing
| group, has ruled that an ad for Microsoft's Xbox 360 is out of
| bounds and can't be aired there again.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/113551.asp

[H]omer:

,----[ Quote ]
| Initially I had no idea what this story was about [confused], until I
| watched the GooTube video, and realised that apparently Microsoft had
| commissioned some sort of "Lets-pretend: Cowboys and Indians" advert for
| their eX-b0rks.
|
| > http://www.onthexbox.com/news981.html
|
| Since I don't own an eX-b0rks, and never will, and also since I usually
| manage to successfully avoid all advertising on all mediums, I had never
| seen this advert until now.
|
| Frankly, I think it highly irresponsible, and I'd be very surprised if
| the ITC approved it for transmission in the UK. They've banned unsavoury
| adverts from Microsoft before:
|
| http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/new_media/2028725.stm
|
| Like I said, I avoid advertising like the plague, so maybe someone can
| enlighten me as to whether this gun-mania advert was ever shown in the
| UK.
|
| > Mafia culture?
|
| I don't think this is uniquely Microsoft trait. America just has a
| particularly lax attitude towards firearms, and their irresponsible
| advertising reflects that.
|
| I'm sure there are those who believe this is just a storm in a teacup,
| but promoting firearms, even in a juvenile "lets-pretend" fashion (in
| fact especially in a juvenile "lets-pretend" fashion) is exactly the
| kind of thing that ultimately leads to the kinds of gun violence we see
| all over America, with particular reference to schools.
|
| Like I said, I don't know if this advert was ever shown in the UK, or
| even ever intended to be shown over here, but American companies, and
| American advertisers, need to bear in mind, that not every country in
| the world is filled with gun-toting maniacs, and we don't all aspire to
| going around killing everyone.
`----

Viral Marketing Leads to Mock Gunfight

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest in a series of attempts around the world to mimic the
| segment that, according to media analysts, amounts to free "viral
| advertising" for Microsoft Corp.
|
| The latest incident took place on Tuesday in the cafeteria at
| South Carleton High School when a crowd of students shot finger
| guns at one another and feigned death by either falling or
| slumping to the ground.
`----

http://www.onthexbox.com/news981.html

WhatsWrongWithU

,----[ Quote ]
| The site is targetted to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Korea, with an
| abrasive attempt at in your face attitude. However, one has to
| wonder if the whole thing will come off as more than a little insulting.
`----

http://www.armchairempire.com/News/?p=187

Those Microsoft Vista ads are really bizarre

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.adjab.com/2007/01/15/those-microsoft-vista-ads-are-really-bizarre/l