Re: [News] [Rival] H-P Still Doing Microsoft's Dirty Laundry

____/ Homer on Friday 04 July 2008 14:00 : \____

>> Isn't there a law against this? Called "false advertising" or
>> something along those lines?
>
> In the specific example (the mini-notebook) they get away with it by
> printing a disclaimer in tiny print on the back of the flyer, and even
> on the front it only reads "recommends" rather than "uses" or "needs",
> so that's how they game the system.
>
> There may be a case for /misleading/ advertising though. I'm not sure if
> the ASA (or the US equivalent - if there is such a thing) considers this
> in the same light.
>
> Certainly the ASA have taken them to task before over /other/ ads,
> mainly because of the Vole's predilection for violence and pornography.

Yes, and I once heard that they had also banned Get the Facts. Now, if only
they could make it a universal ban, like the Web... Microsoft also has fake
blogs now. Who knows how many? Those responsible should be put in prison. It's
illegal according to EU laws. Microsoft breaks the law again.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/04/fake_microsoft_blog/

"The danger is that Microsoft is using strategic monopolistic pricing in the
education market, with the government’s assistance, to turn our state
university systems into private workforce training programs for Microsoft."
                --Nathan Newman