[News] Mandriva Derivatives Give Ubuntu a Run for the Money

My first hours with PCLINUXOS

,----[ Quote ]
| The first thing I noticed what that PCLINUXOS was able to start using the
| broadcom wifi in my laptop right out out of the gate. I opened up the network
| configuration tool and it asked me if I wanted to use the windows driver for
| via ndiswrapper for the card since there is no linux driver. I said yes and
| was done. In Ubuntu I had to use the wired ethernet to search Ubuntu’s forums
| for the right driver to use and instructions on how to set up ndiswapper.
| PSLINUXOS time: 30 seconds
| Ubuntu time: 45 minutes
|
| My graphics card installed and worked correctly right from the get go. In
| Ubuntu I had to install the driver from Intel which was a hassle. Though the
| hassle was more Intel’s fault that Ubuntu’s.
| PSLINUXOS time: 0
| Ubuntu time: 20 minutes
`----

http://www.web4beta.com/?p=69

Ubuntu vs PCLinuxOS

,----[ Quote ]
| Generally the applications I use/dependant in a desktop:
| browser
| email client
| Calendar
| Editor
| Java IDE
| Internet
`----

http://stormy-subbu.blogspot.com/2008/07/ubuntu-vs-pclinuxos.html

Another Mandriva-based distro:

There’s Something About Pardus 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| In my opinion, Pardus is definitely the best government funded Linux
| distribution at the moment. I hope our very own Philippine-made Bayanihan
| Linux in the very near future will at least equal what Pardus has achieved.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/07/theres-something-about-pardus-2008.html

Bayanihan is based on PCLOS, IIRC. Mandriva 2008 has impressed me enormously so
far.

Yesterday:

Pardus 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| After my review of do-it-yourself-Arch, I wanted to test a distro with a
| totally different philosophy, one that aims to give you a complete desktop
| system from the start. The problem was, I didn’t want to test Ubuntu,
| OpenSuse, Mandriva, Mint…those are too well known.
|
| [...]
|
| There’s no doubt that Pardus 2008 is one of the better Linux distributions
| out there. In the week I tested it I found not much wrong with the way it
| works, apart from an annoying tendency to forget some settings. It’s been
| reliable, stable, and relatively speedy. However, there is some work to be
| done before it can compete with the likes of Ubuntu, like providing an even
| more polished look, especially when it comes to the integration of GTK
| applications. It also needs better and more up-to-date documentation. Pardus
| is a very ambitious project, and so far, it doesn’t quite attain its goals
| just yet. I have no doubt however that it’s just a matter of time.
| In the meantime, it’s a viable alternative for anyone who isn’t satisfied
| with the offerings of the big-name distributions.
`----

http://celettu.wordpress.com/2008/07/02/pardus-2008/

PCLinuxOS Mini ME 2008 - A Joy To Use

,----[ Quote ]