Re: [News] Eee PC with Linux Receives Daily Telegraph's Praise

Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:46:20 +0100
>> <2452549.83agToik6j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>> Bootcamp 531 - Tweaking the Eee PC
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>
>> Um....that's not a Linux issue.
>
> It is if one considers space requirements, re: Windows vs GNU/Linux.
> Of course that may be rather moot given large enough flash drives.
>
> [rest snipped for levity]

If you're using these things for watching videos on the move, though,
you do need the space.  I use mencoder to downcode mythtv recordings to
about 100Mbytes/hour which is good enough for watching on my Nokia 800
whilst on the plane, train or whilst sat in departures.  Or, in the case
of Heathrow T5, stood, because there aren't enough seats.  Or, yeah,
waiting on the tarmac.  I also have a lot of spoken audio which I
downcode to 8kHz mono (am-radio quality), so that I can get lots and
lots, and still leave room for reasonable quality music.

If you've an operating system which needs a few Gig just to be there,
then those few gig are taking up 10 hours of video/Gig, or 1,000 hours
of voice-quality audio...

As flash cards are getting up to 32Gig, then even a Nokia 800 can have
64Gig of storage without even changing a card.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |