Re: [News] MSBBC and Ashley's Kangaroo Fail to Jump Away from Antitrust

> Commercial iPlayer faces anti-trust shakedown
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Project Kangaroo, the commercial on-demand web TV service being developed by
>| BBC Worldwide, ITV and Channel 4, will be investigated by the Competition
>| Commission amid concern that it could stifle rival online efforts.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| When Project Kangaroo does eventually emerge it'll be run by the BBC's
>| departing new media chief Ashley Highfield, reportedly under the
>| monicker "SeeSaw". Don't expect it to surface until 2009.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/30/project_kangaroo_competition_commission/

Ah, yup, here we are, he's "departing".  He lost his job.  There is a
big big price to pay for selecting a proprietary platform when there are
open platforms which can do the job without any of the exit costs, and
whilst offering multi-platform support.  I wonder if Ashley will enjoy
his new job?

I can't really see how he will be able to compete with the BBC's
flash-based iPlayer, and the wealth of PVR solutions, and even mythtv,
FreeSat and FreeView.  Why would anyone pay, when they've /already paid/
for all of the above?

I give him 24 months in his new job, then he'll be, err, "looking" for a
new role.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |