Re: Mandriva Linux 2008: Good Stuff!

  • Subject: Re: Mandriva Linux 2008: Good Stuff!
  • From: William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:30:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 07:19:21 -0400, Linonut wrote:

>> Anyway, I've got my new and more productive environment now. It's over
>> 4,000 pixels wide and the displays are about 1.2 meter wide. All set up
>> with the NVidia GUI (no fiddling with CLI or text files). The graphics
>> card, which is not high-end, handles Compiz Fusion very nicely even at
>> this high resolution.
>>
>> Mandriva did well and set up a very pleasant default theme. To be fair,
>> other distros ought to work equally well (PCLinuXOS comes to mind as a
>> derivative), but I only tested 3. For a distro that took just 5-10
>> minutes to download (using wget), this is the best 0 quid ever spent.
>>
>> Why again are some people still using Windows?!
>
> It's like cigarettes.
>
> Unfortunately, like cigarettes, you have to put up with a cancer.
>
> A Microsoft Cancer®.

"When I hear of a long time smoker dying of lung cancer
I think 'That's too bad, but they made their choices'.
When I hear about companies getting screwed by Microsoft,
I think the same thing."
-- Anon --

--
The little scamps! It's the oldest trick in the book: capture your ship,
 turn it into a planet, then explore a macro universe in a laundry basket.