[News] Windows User Tries Linux, Unable to Disengage from Defective Metaphors

How Linux app install leaves one PC expert befuddled

,----[ Quote ]
| You can’t really blame Adrian, though. Adrian is a relatively new Linux
| user – he comes from the world of Windows, where you double click on a
| SETUP.EXE icon and minutes later, you’ve got an application installed on your
| system.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9145

Recent:

Install software on Linux - a minor conspiracy?

,----[ Quote ]
| Let me, having in mind that Windows only people, explain how software is
| getting to Linux desktops and servers. It takes several steps. First, it is
| written by developers who produce the source code. Second, it is packaged by
| distribution maintainers who produce packages for their distributions,
| provided the distribution decides the application is good enough and worth
| the effort. Third, Linux users download the package for their distribution
| and install the application, the process being faster, simpler, and with
| better final results than on Windows.
|
| Just to educate Windows only users. The process is faster since there is no
| Registry related overhead. It is simpler because there are less possible
| cases to handle (for a given distribution, naturally; for Linux in general
| there are a lot more cases to handle). And the end results are better because
| the uninstallation is clean (playing with applications does not lead to
| performance degradation), shared libraries are in fact shared (so the overall
| volume of installed files is smaller and improvements made for one
| application automatically make some other better), and the files are in
| perfect order (on a well maintained system you can point to any file and the
| package manager will tell you what package installed it, when it installed
| it, and what applications use it).
`----

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Install-software-on-Linux--by-Andrey-Gerasimenko-080626-376.html
http://tinyurl.com/6gk34b

Do we really need another packaging system?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://loupgaroublond.blogspot.com/2008/06/do-we-really-need-another-packaging.html
http://tinyurl.com/5rkf8h