Re: [News] [Rival] Update on Microsoft Crime and Microsoft-enabled Cybercrime

____/ Linonut on Wednesday 02 July 2008 18:42 : \____

>> "I have mentioned before the "stacked panel". Panel discussions naturally
>> favor alliances of relatively weak partners - our usual opposition. For
>> example, an "unbiased" panel on OLE vs. OpenDoc would contain
>> representatives of the backers of OLE (Microsoft) and the backers of OpenDoc
>> (Apple, IBM, Novell, WordPerfect, OMG, etc.). Thus we find ourselves
>> outnumbered in almost every "naturally occurring" panel debate.
>>
>> A stacked panel, on the other hand, is like a stacked deck: it is packed
>> with people who, on the face of things, should be neutral, but who are in
>> fact strong supporters of our technology. The key to stacking a panel is
>> being able to choose the moderator. Most conference organizers allow the
>> moderator to select the panel, so if you can pick the moderator, you win.
>> Since you can't expect representatives of our competitors to speak on your
>> behalf, you have to get the moderator to agree to having only "independent
>> ISVs" on the panel. No one from Microsoft or any other formal backer of the
>> competing technologies would be allowed ? just ISVs who have to use this
>> stuff in the "real world." Sounds marvelously independent doesn't it? In
>> fact, it allows us to stack the panel with ISVs that back our cause. Thus,
>> the "independent" panel ends up telling the audience that our technology
>> beats the others hands down. Get the press to cover this panel, and you've
>> got a major win on your hands."
>>
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20071023002351958
>
> To continue:
>
>    Finding a moderator is key to setting up a stacked panel. The best
>    sources of pliable moderators are:
>
>        -- Analysts: Analysts sell out - that's their business model. But
>           they are very concerned that they never look like they are
>           selling out, so that makes them very prickly to work with.
>
>        -- Consultants: These guys are your best bets as moderators.
>           Get a well-known consultant on your side early, but don't let
>           him publish anything blatantly pro-Microsoft. Then, get him
>           to propose himself to the conference organizers as a
>           moderator, whenever a panel opportunity comes up. Since he's
>           well-known, but apparently independent, he'll be accepted
>           -- one less thing for the constantly-overworked
>           conference organizer to worry about, right?
>
> amicus_unscrupulous couldn't put it any better, I'm sure.

He commented on that post from Groklaw. Not yet banned though.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'
Tasks: 161 total,   1 running, 159 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie