[News] MSBBC Steers Away from Microsoft for Cost and Cross-platform

BBC Dumps Microsoft-Backed Skinkers Apps, Switches To Adobe

,----[ Quote ]
| The BBC is moving away from desktop apps made by Microsoft-backed Skinkers
| and instead bringing production in-house, switching to Adobe’s (NSDQ: ADBE)
| Flash-based cross-platform Flex and AIR frameworks. John O’Donovan, BBC
| future media and technology’s chief architect for journalism, explained that
| its desktop alert apps like Mini Motty and news ticker have “hundreds of
| thousands” of users but “only work on Windows, are built out of a variety of
| proprietary tools”, “are difficult to manage and expensive to maintain”.
`----

http://www.paidcontent.co.uk/entry/419-bbc-drops-microsoft-backed-skinkers-apps-switches-to-adobe/

Recent:

BBC defends iPlayer against Murdoch Jr's 'anti-competitive' claims

,----[ Quote ]
| The BBC Trust, Auntie's independent oversight body, has today defended the
| iPlayer against claims by James Murdoch that it squashes competition and
| innovation in online TV.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/25/murdoch_bbc_iplayer_competition/

Related:

Why Linux Users Should Be Furious At BBC

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2731&Itemid=449