[News] Acer GNU/Linux Laptops Debut

Acer punts £199... er... £220... er... Linux laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| At launch, the company stated the basic version of the Eee PC rival would run
| Linux, pack in 8GB of solid-state storage and 512MB of memory, and sport a
| £199 price tag. Company officials stressed that that figure included VAT, the
| UK's 17.5 per cent sales tax.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/02/acer_ups_linux_laptop_price/

Recent:

Acer launches $500 Atom-powered Linux mini-note

,----[ Quote ]
| Aspire One sports Intel’s Atom processor, an 8.9in screen and a $99 cashback
| deal on its $599 (Linux) and $699 (Windows XP) sticker price
`----

http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2556

Acer Aspire One

,----[ Quote ]
| Many of us will be familiar with Linux-based operating systems, but
| relatively few of you will have seen the particular 'Linpus' implementation
| in the One. The home screen is divided into four sections: "Connect" for all
| Internet, instant messenger and email-related tasks; "Work" for accessing
| OpenOffice word processor, spreadsheet, presentation and database
| applications; "Fun" for the games, media player and photo management
| software; and "Files" for accessing your data. There's also a search bar at
| the top right that can be used to search the Internet directly or the files
| on the hard drives.
`----

http://www.cnet.com.au/laptops/laptops/0,239035649,339290036,00.htm

Acer bets big on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its laptops and
| netbooks.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2218172/acer-pushes-linux-hard

Microsoft sees slide in profits

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

| Lenovo.

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579

Man wins damages from Acer over Windows refund

,----[ Quote ]