[News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Compromises ATMs

PINs stolen from Citibank ATMs

,----[ Quote ]
| The alleged thieves made off with about $2 million between October 2007 until
| March of this year. Officials believe they remotely broke into the back-end
| computers that approve cash withdrawals and grabbed the PINs as they were
| being transmitted from the ATMs to the transaction processing computers,
| which increasingly use Windows, the report says.
|
| [... from the comments ...]
|
| Windows should not be used, nor shout OS X or Linux if it is running a GUI.
| While Windows can not be striped to a secure level and OS X is a bit of a
| challenge, Linux is very easy to run with a very minimalistic build.
|
| Check out the NSA version of Linux.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9982500-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

McAfee reports on spam in the real world

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the course of the month, McAfee's test subjects accumulated 104,000 spam
| messages, or roughly 70 per day per recipient.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10789_3-9981926-57.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Recent:

Windows-based cash machines 'easily hacked'

,----[ Quote ]
| ATMs, or automated teller machines, today face the Internet-born threat of
| worms and denial-of-service attacks, as well as being at risk from malicious
| applications that can harvest customer data or hijack machines.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6233030.html

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace

Brazilian banks look to Linux for ATMs

,----[ Quote ]
| Brazilian banking giant Banco do Brasil this year is preparing to start a
| massive migration of one of the world’s biggest ATM fleets to the GNU/Linux
| operating system.
`----

http://www.atmmarketplace.com/article.php?id=9929&prc=12&page=42

Madness: ATMs Running Windows XP?

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/madness-atms-running-windows-xp.html

Related:

Pictures of ATM Machine Running Windows XP Crashing

,----[ Quote ]
| The other day I pulled up to an ATM and it was in the middle of crashing and
| so I was able to shoot these pics during the crash and reboot. The ATM never
| did come up fully so I was unable to get some cash.
`----

http://www.socialdailynews.com/2007/09/pictures-of-atm-machine-running-windows-xp-crashing/

ATM using un-activated Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Ok, so lets be realistic for a moment here, first off, is 'Hackers Best
| Friend" MS Windows really the optimal choice for an operating system that
| spits out cash?
`----

http://www.itdrive.com/articles/177/1/ATM-using-un-activated-Windows/Page1.html

ATM with Pirated Windows [with photos]

,----[ Quote ]
| In Russian you can sometimes meet pirated copy of Windows even
| on ATM. It warns that this copy of Windows need activation and
| the work of ATM gets interrupted.
`----

http://englishrussia.com/?p=981#more-981

http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo06091944fe5.jpg

Why not Embedded? ATM's Running XP Professional...

,----[ Quote ]
| This time, I happened to be there when it suddenly BSOD'd and began a
| reboot cycle. Obviously, to BSOD it needs to run Windows, and moments
| later, that was confirmed. But that's not the story here -- believe it or
| not, most ATMs run Windows nowadays, and there's absoloutely nothing
| wrong with that.
|
| [...]
|
| There's a million reasons why an ATM should must be RTOS, be it Linux or
| VxWorks or Windows CE, but even if you don't go with RTOS, Windows XP
| Professional most certainly isn't the answer. Especially if it's not even
| SP2.
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/287

ATMs hacked using MP3 player