[News] The Real Cost of Windows Compared to GNU/Linux

Windows Hater (in response to Linux Hater)

,----[ Quote ]
| Picture this, you just bought built a brand new computer and want to install
| the brand spankin’ new Windows Vista Ultimate, you plop down $300, and away
| you go! What does $300 get you? A bare minimum operating system with nothing
| but MS Paint and Media Player.
|
| [...]
|
| Six hundred dollars and 7 hours later you have an almost usable computer, you
| still can’t watch DIVX or DVDs, burn Audio CD’s, Balance your checkbook, Sync
| your phone to your calendar and e-mail, or entertain your children with any
| games but minesweeper or solitaire. You don’t even have a virus scan program
| yet!
`----

http://blog.sontek.net/2008/06/30/windows-hater-in-response-to-linux-hater/

Related:

Ka-Ching! Windows Vista's real cost

,----[ Quote ]
| That's what M$ took as a strategy, I think. And just like total
| revolution within M$ Office brings those logically thinking to
| OpenOffice.org, this revolution is an encouragement to migrate to
| Linux, where efficiency increase is not bound with inherent
| incompatibility. Mozilla is one of great examples here. So
| before you will have to ask your computer, what youwant to do
| today, take a while and think about being openminded and
| sticking to open standards.
`----

http://ztrek.blogspot.com/2007/01/ka-ching-windows-vistas-real-cost.html

Chinese attitude on buying Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I've mentioned above,the price of Vista is higher than RMB2000 (about
| USD257) may not shake users in developed countries, but do you know it
| is equal to the average monthly salary in China's economic center
| Shanghai!So please take this fact into consideration before
| criticize our behavior of buying pirate softwares.
|
| recent survey of public opinion from China's portal NetEase shows that 81%
| of netizens think Microsoft is forcing them to use pirate Vista...
`----

http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/02/chinese-attitude-on-buying-vista.html

What is the True Cost of Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| With the recent upsurge of popularity in Linux based systems, IT admins have
| been asking the question of the TRUE cost of Linux. What impact does it have
| on the enterprise in regard to training, support, etc? While some claim that
| the cost of Linux is fattened by a little extra user training (a claim I
| happen to disagree with), what about the extra administration and maintenance
| that has to be done on Windows systems?
|
| [...]
|
| I abhor having to do this maintenance at school, mainly because I NEVER have
| to perform it at home. At home, I use nothing but Linux based systems. I have
| been using some form of Linux as my operating system for nearly 10 years now
| (fully ditched Windows about 5 years back) and I’ve never had a virus. I’ve
| never had spyware. Linux filesystems don’t get nearly as fragmented as NTFS
| and I’ve never defragged a Linux box. It seems to me that all this talk about
| the true cost of Linux is taking the spotlight while no one is really asking
| about the cost of Windows. Not only are the licenses grossly overpriced but
| the cost of properly maintaining a working system wastes valuable time for
| the IT department. While they’re taking care of these annoying little tasks,
| something more important has to wait in the wings. I’d like to hear some IT
| managers’ positions on this and see how much time they spend maintaining
| Windows systems in their enterprise.
`----

http://www.astralsin.com/archives/tech/windows/what-is-the-true-cost-of-windows/

Microsoft starts a "Get the Facts" campaign...against itself

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9773662-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

,----[ Quotes with annotation ]
| "(Microsoft manager:) I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on TCO on webservers. I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on availability (windows was down more than linux). And I don't like the
| fact that the reports says nothing new is coming with windows .net server."
|
| [...]
|
| "I don't like it to be public on the doc that we sponsored it because I
| don't think the outcome is as favorable as we had hoped. I just don't like
| competitors using it as ammo against us. It is easier if it doesn't mention
| that we sponsored it."
`----

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/9000/PX09695.pdf

The Importance Cleaning Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| On a Windows machine, virtual junk is referred to the countless garbage data
| stored on hard drives during normal usage. These files include a build up of
| needless temporary Internet and operating system files, Internet cookies,
| misplaced or old documents, and the dirtiest system of them all: the Windows
| Registry.
`----

http://feedelite.com/2007/12/07/the-importance-cleaning-windows-xp/

Why Does Windows Get Slower Over Time?

,----[ Quote ]
| The natural impulse is to blame Windows itself. The phenomenon is so
| well known and widespread that some in the industry have even coined a
| term for it: "Windows rot." The idea is that, for lack of a specific
| cause, Windows just performs worse the longer you use it.
`----

http://www.playfuls.com/news_06892_Why_Does_Windows_Get_Slower_Over_Time.html

Windows XP OS is really quite a crock

,----[ Quote ]