[News] Businesses Should be Ready for Linux (Not the Other Way Around)

Making desktop Linux work for business

,----[ Quote ]
| Today's IT managers face tough choices. PCs that run fine today have an
| uncertain upgrade path, now that Microsoft has chosen to discontinue Windows
| XP. Upgrade costs associated with Vista, coupled with the ever-escalating
| cost of application licenses, make switching to desktop Linux an increasingly
| attractive option.
|
| For many businesses, however, it's difficult to know where to begin. The
| Linux market is broad and thriving, with myriad options to choose from. Most
| organizations will want to phase in Linux gradually, which in many cases will
| mean supporting a heterogeneous computing environment for the first time. As
| a result, it can be hard to predict where software incompatibilities might
| affect critical business processes.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/07/01/27FE-desktop-linux_1.html

Recent:

Linux is ready, but consumers are not

,----[ Quote ]
| Haff said a window of opportunity for Linux ironically may lie in the demise
| of the desktop OS. "If you believe in the emergence of cloud computing, then
| the whole concept of running applications on the desktop starts to go away.
| This may well mean that Linux gets more interesting for client devices
| because now native applications do not matter so much," he said.
|
| Colin Sng, a systems engineer in a Singapore-based firm, who uses Windows,
| Mac and Linux OSes for work and at home, said the technology is ready, but
| obstacles lie mostly with the consumer.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62040974,00.htm

It's time to retire "ready for the desktop"

,----[ Quote ]
| Quite a few reviews of new Linux releases these days try to determine if a
| distribution is "ready for the desktop." I myself have probably been guilty
| of using that phrase, but I think it's time we officially retire this
| criterion.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/134808

Related:

Windows rapidly approaching desktop usability

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't Lose This Product Key!
|
| Video blanking hassles
|
| Windows XP networking: Not for amateurs