[News] [SOT] SaaS Lock-in, Google Penetrates Flash Files

Avoiding lock-in in the cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| The applications that are built on top of a particular vendor's
| infrastructure are locked into that provider's way of doing things. I always
| expect the cloud to be about freedom from vendor control--much like how open
| source gives control to the users.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-9980756-62.html

Google learns to crawl Flash

,----[ Quote ]
| In the past, web designers faced challenges if they chose to develop a site
| in Flash because the content they included was not indexable by search
| engines. They needed to make extra effort to ensure that their content was
| also presented in another way that search engines could find.
`----

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/google-learns-to-crawl-flash.html

Recent:

SaaS, Open Source and the Migration of Burden

,----[ Quote ]
| Just the week before I had a reporter ask me how Linux is going to deal with
| the threat of cloud computing. The threat? I told her that virtually all of
| the major cloud computing initiatives (except Microsoft’s) are built on
| Linux. (There is a potential displacement there for Linux distribution
| vendors but that’s another topic.) Linux as a platform is the enabling
| backbone of software as a service and cloud computing.
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/amanda/2008/05/08/saas-open-source-and-the-migration-of-burden/

Related:

Open source a no-brainer for SaaS providers

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/04/01/Open-source-a-no-brainer-for-SaaS-providers_1.html