[News] Technical and Financial Overheads in Proprietary Software

The Invisible Closed Source Overhead - 2

,----[ Quote ]
| Because of the Tragic Closure of closed source software, a purchaser is
| typically required to make a decision to buy one of a range of products, each
| with overlapping feature sets and other characteristics (rather than, for
| example, buying one at random and supplementing the software with third party
| or custom built components to cover any feature gap involved).  In such an
| acquisition therefore, a wrong decision can end up being very expensive. As a
| result the decision process becomes invested with much more weight than it
| really ought to.
`----

http://brendanscott.wordpress.com/2008/07/01/the-invisible-closed-source-overhead-2/

According to this, ignorance and antiquated policies are a barrier:

Why You Need Open Source Governance

,----[ Quote ]
| In this company, Open Source is being widely deployed; however, none of the
| existing processes are tuned to address this fact. They are  completely blind
| to the presence of Open Source in a large number of the company's IT
| projects. Think about the risk exposure this represents. Obviously, there are
| questions regarding whether the company is complying with the license
| obligations of the Open Source software, so the company's attorneys are
| likely to be concerned.
`----

http://www.cio.in/esntech/viewArticle/ARTICLEID=5079043

This issue is already being resolved in some places.

Recent:

Indian Policy Makers Call For Greater Use Of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| A wide spectrum of policy makers called for the greater usage of open
| source to modernize India in the digital era and the re-evaluation of
| the laws pertaining to Intellectual Property. The event sought to examine
| the notion of intellectual "property," in the context of traditional
| knowledge, globalization and the growth of the open source movement
| worldwide.
`----

http://in.sys-con.com/read/281396_p.htm

Tamil Nadu (India) Shutting the Door On Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "The managing director of the IT procurement, consulting, and training
| agency for the Tamil Nadu government describes the reasons why he has
| chosen OSS, and also how he dealt with Microsoft executives."
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/03/0226229&from=rss

Kerala On Linux Express Highway

,----[ Quote ]