[News] Cycle of Improvements in Free Software Illustrated

CRM Turkish Coffee With Chris Harrick, Talkin' Open Source CRM

,----[ Quote ]
| CH: Okay, let me use my company for an example, since I'm familiar with it.
| We write and release code under the GPL v3. The application is downloaded
| thousands of times per day by people all over the world. They provide the
| company with feedback on product quality and direction which is factored back
| into the development process.
|
| They all write feature extensions which can be plugged into the product due
| to the modular nature of the application. We produce revenues from companies
| with more complex needs and dedicated support requirements who can subscribe
| to our commercial professional and enterprise products.
`----

http://call-recording.tmcnet.com/topics/crm/articles/32816-crm-turkish-coffee-with-chris-harrick-talk-open.htm

Kill The Data Center

,----[ Quote ]
| We also knew that open source was moving beyond the operating system and the
| data center and moving into database and core functionality, particularly
| around business intelligence and content management. That also provided a lot
| of benefits that SaaS provides, namely a subscription model where you pay for
| the software and tools and support you're really using, as well as a
| community to draw from. With Salesforce.com, every time someone comes up with
| a clever feature it's embedded in the software and we're automatically
| upgraded. That didn't used to be the case. I'm getting the benefits of the
| large community of people using the software.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/06/29/ingres-data-center-tech-cio-cx_es_0630ingres.html

Recent:

WordPress is Open Source