[News] Silicon.com on the High-Impact Arrival of Android (Linux) and Ubuntu Mobile

  • Subject: [News] Silicon.com on the High-Impact Arrival of Android (Linux) and Ubuntu Mobile
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:36:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open source to 'blow mobiles open'

,----[ Quote ]
| McCabe said that the impending release of Google Android would provide
| a "wonderful catalyst" for the breakdown of proprietary software and hardware
| bundles from telcos. Other open source handset software includes the recent
| release of mobile Ubuntu.
`----

http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024665,39253486,00.htm

Phones are getting more sophisticated [1], so they could replace the desktop
for _some_ tasks. Google knows this, which is why it does not bother with a
desktop O/S. Android is impressive [2] and it could replace Windows as
paradigms shift [3][4].

Nokia recently said that Linux would penetrate phones [6-10] and quickly
shortafter it open-sourced the market leader [5], Symbian.

Recent:

[1] A third of all phones "smart" in five years

| ABI Research vice president Stuart Carlaw said, "The market is currently
| dominated by Nokia (52 percent) and Symbian (65 percent). However, the
| coalescence of the framework wars in the Linux environment and the growing
| stature of Windows Mobile will enable new competitors to put pressure on this
| established axis."

[2] Google Exec: Android To Beat iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Rich Miner even went after Apple's handheld darling.  "Once you have devices
| out there from Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and so on, there's a much larger
| potential market on Android than for the iPhone," he said.  "[T]here's a
| single manufacturer, it's targeted at a particular demographic, and it falls
| far short of the 1 billion mobile phones sold every year worldwide."
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/03/17/google-exec-android-to-beat-iphone

[3] Is Google Android the Next Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| On the flip side, Good Android (here’s a video demo) is a cross-platform
| software environment that multiple hardware vendors and service providers are
| expected to embrace. Although Android isn’t fully baked, Google is
| aggressively promoting the operating environment to third party developers.
| The idea is to get developers on board early, so that tons of Android
| applications are ready when Android-compatible devices finally debut.
|
| [...]
|
| Eventually, The VAR Guy suspects, Android devices will easily leapfrog
| iPhone’s market share. But that’s not a terrible thing for Apple. Although
| Apple nearly died on the desktop, Apple’s more recent innovations prove that
| you can thrive even when you hold less than 10 percent of a technology
| market.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/03/20/is-google-android-the-next-windows/

[4] Symbian forecasts the death of the PC

,----[ Quote ]
| "Desktops PCs are effectively a flatlining commodity," Clifford
| said on Tuesday, while conceding that laptops were eliciting
| "perhaps a bit more" excitement.
|
| [...]
|
| "We see loads of keypad experimentation across vendors. That's
| a trend of innovation that will increase until people find
| solutions. It's clear that the numeric keypad has started to
| creak with the introduction of mobile e-mail," Forsyth said,
| describing the competition between various new input
| technologies--such as handwriting recognition and foldable
| keyboards--as "Darwinian."
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-6126565.html?part=rss&tag=6126565&subj=news

[5] Nokia Buys Rest of Symbian, Will Make Code Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| But that isn't the only explanation: Competition in the mobile phone market
| is intensifying.
|
| "I think Nokia was more worried about the risk that Symbian's structure would
| erode its competitive position," said Blaber.
|
| Symbian is being challenged by a number of new contenders, including the
| open-source operating system from the LiMo Foundation and Google's Android
| platform, which are challenging existing commercial models, according to
| Blaber.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147470/nokia_buys_rest_of_symbian_will_make_code_open_source.html

[6] Nokia looks beyond Symbian to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With a 47.9 percent stake in Symbian, the leading mobile platform that it
| co-founded in 1998 and which today powers some 206 million mobile phones,
| Nokia has long championed it at the expense of rival platforms such as Linux.
|
| No longer.
|
| The mobile-phone maker is increasingly selecting Linux for Internet-enabled
| mobile devices, with its CFO declaring of Linux, "It's going to be terribly
| important."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9949262-7.html

[7] Nokia eyes wider usage of Linux in cellphones

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's going to be terribly important," Nokia's Chief Financial Officer Rick
| Simonson told an investor conference when asked about the role of Linux-based
| tablets.
|
| He said the company has been developing the next generation of Linux-based
| products, which are starting to come to the market.
`----

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technologyNewsMolt/idUKL207696020080520

[8] Nokia: Linux to become more popular on Mobile Devices

http://stuff.techwhack.com/3687-nokia-linux

[9] Nokia embraces Ubuntu OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia’s Internet Tablet devices are set to get a port of the Linux operating
| system Ubuntu, following the release of the latest ‘Hardy Heron’ v8.04 of
| Ubuntu this week.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/linux/nokia-embraces-ubuntu-os--330238

[10] Nokia adds Qt to Maemo