[News] Another 100,000 GNU/Linux Users in ELCOT

Microsoft tactics push India toward Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One of India's 28 states plans to distribute 100,000 Linux laptops to
| students there. It sounds like Tamil Nadu's volume purchasing agent decided
| to use Linux exclusively after being put off by Microsoft's bundling tactics
| for academic users.
|
| [...]
|
| Though it could be sour grapes at having its unbundled OS proposal scuppered
| by Microsoft, ELCOT now says it recommends only Linux. On its website, the
| organization says, "ELCOT has been using SUSE Linux and Ubuntu Linux
| operating systems on desktop and laptop computers numbering over 2,000 during
| the past two years and found them far superior as compared to other operating
| systems, notably the Microsoft Operating System."

As Windows sales decline [1][2], Microsoft will continue trying to milk, raise
prices, and 'crack down' on copyright infringement. In turn, more pissed off
people will ditch Microsoft altogether.

It's nice to see that ELCOT has brought Ubuntu in, not just Ballnux.

Head of Microsoft India recently quit the company [3] after backlash and
corruption [4-7].

Microsoft also tried to derail India's pro-FOSS ICT policies [8]
using 'donations', just as it does in Europe [9].

___
[1] Microsoft sees slide in profits

[2] Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24
| percent and revenue from its online advertising unit came in at the low end
| of its projections. Microsoft's report contrasted with positive comments from
| chipmaker Intel Corp. and computer company International Business Machines
| Corp.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft declined $1.60 to $30.20 in extended trading after closing at
| $31.80 at 4 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The stock has
| fallen 11 percent this year.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQ7_iN1SxJ.c&refer=worldwide

[3] Microsoft bails out its Indian managing director

,----[ Quote ]
| Neelam Dhawan, Managing Director of Microsoft India, will leave the company
| as of 30 June. Some media sources cite the Indian ooxml debacle as a reason.
|
| [...]
|
| In relation to the failure of Microsoft India to get a positive vote outcome
| Neelam Dhawan's bail out casts a negative light on the company. If standard
| setting gets performance based and a standard is not let through due to its
| technical merits but the fear of managing staff to lose its position it comes
| at no surprise that the management will fight with all means for the adoption
| of suboptimal solutions. Microsoft India even filed a complaint against the
| standard body No vote that caused the outrage.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-65836/microsoft-bails-out-its-indian-managing-director

[4] What's up with Microsoft India?

,----[ Quote ]
| The CVP, MD and all her direct reports made this company a miserable place to
| work for! They created a feudal fiefdom for themselves.
`----

http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2008/05/whats-up-with-microsoft-india.html

[5] Wipro Microsoft alliance is a shame for all Indians – alliance or slavery?

,----[ Quote ]
| The alliance uses Microsoft technologies instead of challenging Gates in his
| own game. Wipro is just a servant of Microsoft facilitating Indian cyber
| slavery under the American corporate banners.
`----

http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/19365.asp

[6] Microsoft influencing partner NGOs to support OOXML in India

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is encouraging its business partners to promote its Office Open XML
| specification (OOXML) to the Indian Bureau of Standards (BIS) and Ministry of
| IT. This move has incensed supporters of the rival OpenDocument Format (ODF)
| who fear that the "soft" Indian state may not be able to stand up to
| Microsoft pressure tactics.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/128528

[7] Finally, My open letter on OOXML happenings in India

,----[ Quote ]
| 3. My personal anguish.
|
| My first anguish is the way the name of my colleagues and my Institution,
| along with names of several others on the committee LITD 15, have been
| maligned and tarnished by Microsoft. My second anguish is that Microsoft
| persisted in its attempt to pressurize Indian leadership to change the Indian
| stand, in spite of the fact that a due process established by the Government
| had completed its job, recommending no change in the Indian vote. These two
| things, amongst others, have caused me to lose my peace of mind and my sleep
| over last two months. I share my thoughts (which sometimes have been rather
| wild), and my anguish in this section.
`----

http://deepakphatak.blogspot.com/2008/05/this-is.html

[8] Microsoft to put $20 mln more in India education

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have invested approximately $20 million between 2003 and 2008. We'll have
| a similar investment over the next five years," Ravi Venkatesan, chairman of
| the company's Indian unit, said.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSDEL9524120080604

[9] Microsoft Launches OnMyWay