[News] [SOT] Rogue Admins or Rogue Pointy-haired Managers?

Another Point of View on That Whole "Rogue San Francisco Admin" Story

,----[ Quote ]
| So, let me get this straight. There's this system admin who
| allegedly "hijacked" San Francisco's city-wide computer network. To the point
| where he got fired, arrested, and is now on trial. Half the stories out there
| have this guy tried and convicted. Because, you know, people who work in
| computers are so freaking scary.
|
| [...]
|
| The arrogance is 100% on the part of management. Everything from them to you
| is "Just shut up and do it!" Ask for more staff? Upgrade your equipment? Need
| more time to finish this repair? Allocate more resources for your project?
| You'll be blown off. Don't bother that expensive suit on its way out the door
| with a bag of golf clubs on a Wednesday morning - you can be replaced by some
| outsourced foreign temps, you know! After all, you're just a data plumber!
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=another_point_of_view_on_that_whole_rogu&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

It's like Dilbert. Suits use Windows, so they think only of their own sheepish
inclinations as the way to go (writing down password on bits of paper for
example).

Related:

Metadata and Sub-Metadata

,----[ Quote ]
| I originally intended this article to explore how some interesting and
| important content continues to be hidden as the volume of content overall
| continues to grow. I got the idea when I noticed something funny about an
| interesting article on Slashdot,  “Advocating Linux/OSS to Management.” The
| post hit the Web on August 5, and comments were locked out about three days
| later, after a total of 466 comments were posted.
|
| The body of the original post poses the question:
|
| "I'm the Senior Developer at a fairly large agency, we're currently a 100%
| LAMP shop, but I've heard a reliable report through the grapevine that the
| management a few levels above our office wants to standardize our region on
| Microsoft .NET. As I'm sure most of you can appreciate, to do such a thing
| would be... counterproductive, and I could really do with a hand conveying
| this to a manager whose only real knowledge of Linux is, ‘If it's so good,
| why would you give it away for free?’"
`----

http://www.b-eye-network.com/view/6544

Related: