Re: [News] [Rival] Windows XP Support Seems Dead

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Rival] Windows XP Support Seems Dead
  • From: Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 02:55:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> The suspicious death of XP support

It's not dead, it was never even born to begin with.

It turns out that XPSP3 was the culprit ... again.

One thing this fiasco highlights yet again is that any updates to
proprietary platforms are bound to cause utter chaos, due to the
disparate nature of proprietary software that comes from many vendors,
without much (or any) cross-vendor collaboration.

This doesn't happen with GNU/Linux. Even though most of the software on
any given GNU/Linux distro originates from an upstream third party, it
is nonetheless built and tested on a single buildsystem by the vendor,
and subsequently tested against the rest of the software in that tree.
Therefore things like broken dependencies or conflicts never happen,
except where a maintainer has made a mistake in the build spec, and such
things are picked up pretty quickly and corrected.

It's likely that proprietary platforms will /never/ have this advantage.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
| armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
| neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
| technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams

 02:54:56 up 211 days, 23:30,  4 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.32, 0.28