[News] Open Source 'Toaster' Runs Open Source O/S

Unisa toasts open source success

,----[ Quote ]
| It uses a customised open source operating system that allows the kiosks to
| burn multiple disks at once.
`----

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/software/2008/0807181034.asp?O=FPTOP&S=Open%20Source&A=LIN

Probably Linux-based, producing Linux CDs.

Recent:

Bridging the African digital divide - with a ‘toaster’

,----[ Quote ]
| The foundation was convincing schools and even government offices to switch
| to Linux, the open-source equivalent of Microsoft Windows or Mac OS.
|
| “We were getting a lot of people excited about it,” Hudson says. But when new
| fans asked how to get their hands on the newest version of Linux, the answer
| was always the same: Download it. “We’d see their shoulders slump,” he
| says. “We had a clear message, we were getting out there and talking to
| people, but we were clearly falling short.”
|
| Then he started thinking – why not make a software vending machine where,
| instead of having to download large files, a user could just burn them to a
| CD?
|
| It so happened that the MTN Sciencentre in Cape Town was about to have an
| exhibition on open-source computing, and Hudson convinced his bosses to let
| him try to design a prototype that would burn a small selection of
| open-source software, including Linux, to CDs.
`----

http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2008/06/17/bridging-the-african-digital-divide-%E2%80%93-with-a-%E2%80%98toaster%E2%80%99/
http://tinyurl.com/5geddf

Welcome to the Freedom Toaster Website