Re: [News] New Free Software Project Wants Strive to Eliminate S/W Bugs

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 18 July 2008 16:49 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:51:57 +0000
> <1725011.GhelxmuWVP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 17 July 2008 20:41 : \____
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer
>>> <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 18:56:58 +0100

>>> Interesting language; beats me how I missed this one. ;-)
>>>
>>> While most languages would probably implement reverse() recursively as
>>> e.g. C++, using a substring method:
>>>
>>> std::string reverse(std::string inp)
>>> {
>>>    if(inp.size() == 0) return "";
>>>    else return reverse(inp.substr(1,inp.size() - 1)) + inp[0];
>>> }
>>>
>>> or Java:
>>>
>>> String reverse(String inp)
>>> {
>>> if(inp.equals("")) return "";
>>> else return reverse(inp.substr(1)) + inp.substr(0,1);
>>> }
>>>
>>> ML uses a pattern-matching syntax:
>>>
>>> fun reverse([])=nil
>>>   | reverse(h::t) = (reverse(t))@[h];
>>>
>>> Microsoft already has F#, which is apparently an ML derivative for .NET.
>>>
>>> For its part Linux appears to have similar functional
>>> languages OCaml, Haskell, and is working on a beta
>>> for Erlang.  All three are in Gentoo's Portage tree,
>>> and wxhaskell is also available (presumably based on the
>>> wxPython widget set).
>>
>> ML was one of the first P/Ls I was taught. SML in high school,
>> then Moscow ML (just a different implementation) in college.
>> It's pretty useless for most things we think of as
>> 'applications', but good for language processing, AI,
>> etc.
>>
>> ML is a nightmare to work with at a high pace. OpenGL,
>> on the other hand, has been lots of fun. programming
>> for GPUs makes eye candy (bugs are very visual)
>> whereas ML is the very opposite -- CLI.
>
> Agreed; I was hoping wxHaskell would be an IDE, but it turns
> out to be a set of Haskell bindings for the wx widget set.
> Still useful, for Haskell users, I suppose; just not quite
> what I was expecting.
>
> OpenGL is also a language (though not in the usual sense), and
> quite fun to play with.
>
> [.sigsnip]

You could probably embed/nest ML quite conveniently under another framework and
do some fun GTK stuff. You could also make system calls to the ML prompt and
play with the output, I guess. My experience with Qt is more limited, so I
don't know if this can be conveniently achieved (more confined). Trolltech
made some nice IDE (what would Nokia do to it, I wonder?) and I didn't know
about Glade when I worked with GTK. MATLAB is the same in the sense that you
could do all the UNIXy stuff usign system() calls. I've always made my
programs Linux-oriented. Anything else was treated as 'other'.

Does ML for Windows run as a standalone program? Or is the dreadful cmd.exe
needed (it's quite ugly and lacks function)? I never tried it.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Software patents destroy innovation
Tasks: 160 total,   2 running, 158 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie